Good Place for Gloves/Shoes

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
Mystic Terminator said:
So I am looking for local and would prefer something So. suburbs. Good selection would be a plus.

Good Luck, I've never found any place on the south side that had a selection that you could try before you buy. Basically was the same as dealing with mail order so that's the route I took and saved big money. I've delt with these 2 companies and always received my stuff in 2 buisiness days.

www.saferacer.com
www.fastraceproducts.com

There is Northstar Motorsports in Barrington that has a good selection on hand, but that's far from being local. I want to try some seats that they have on display there before I buy anything. Here's a link for their site.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
You might want to think twice about the shoes unless required. I've tried a number of shoes, and they just aren't wide enough or have enough lift in the heel to comfortably and reliably heel/toe. As you know the pedal positioning on our cars is less than optimal. I have a size 11 foot, but still can't reach the pedals right unless I have the right shoe on or get creative.

If you left side / right side of the foot method, I recommend a worn out pair of running shoes as they'll transmit information and be able to span the canyon between the brake and gas pedal that even Evil wouldn't jump.

If you use the classic heel on the gas/toe on the brake method, you're more flexible than I.

If you use the reverse heel on the brake / toe on the gas method, I just plain have trouble doing that quickly and reliably without bare feet. You're better than I am :)

As for brands, I've tried using more the stylish pseudo-racing shoes by Puma and Speedwell. The Pumas were slippery on my rubber GT pedals. The Speedwells were better, but still too narrow.

At any rate, I just found on the track that I couldn't trust my feet like I could while wearing running shoes. They're more grippy and wider.

If you want, I'd get a pair from www.Zappos.com. You can try them out for a weekend, and send them back for free. If you like them, buy what you want. If not, not loss.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
jfranci3 said:
You might want to think twice about the shoes unless required. I've tried a number of shoes, and they just aren't wide enough.

That was the whole point of buying mine. My size 12 gym shoes felt like I was wearing swimming flippers when driving on track. I picked up a pair of Simpson racing shoes brand new in the box on ebay for $40 last winter and love them.

I still suck at Heal and Toe but at least my feet are damn comfortable.

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
PETSNKE said:
That was the whole point of buying mine. My size 12 gym shoes felt like I was wearing swimming flippers when driving on track. I picked up a pair of Simpson racing shoes brand new in the box on ebay for $40 last winter and love them.

I still suck at Heal and Toe but at least my feet are damn comfortable.
I can see that if you're wearing like cross trainers,but a good pair of worn out running shoes will be light and conform to your feet. If you buy mostly basketball shoes, well then driving shoes wouldn't be a bad investment.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
my normal shoe is a hiking boot. :D

just remember that they're driving shoes and not walking-around-the-paddock shoes. the have no arch support or cushioning.

also consider a head sock/balaclava. i have to wear one with 'council becuase of my beard, but they make a nifty helmet liner. my blue helmet is much less funky inside than my white one.

i'd also recommend buying the gloves a little large. at gingerman when i was gushing sweat and my gloves were wet i couldnt get them on and off.

jfranci3 said:
I can see that if you're wearing like cross trainers,but a good pair of worn out running shoes will be light and conform to your feet. If you buy mostly basketball shoes, well then driving shoes wouldn't be a bad investment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info