Impala body work begins...

Well since she did pretty decent at they dyno I thought it would be a good of a time as any to start working on the front end. I don't mind so much now not driving for the summer as it burns a lot more gas than my Civic!

The primary goal is to remove both fenders. This is how it sits now. I will continue more tomorrow. I am going to also take more pictures thoroughly tomorrow of both fenders so you guys can see what I am up against.

I am going to be taking each fender to my work and have the body guys help me patch them up and get them primered. I'm also going to do some of my own painting with canned paint on some of the engine bay pieces, like the core support, fan, etc. Just to brighten it up.

While apart I plan to go at the intake again. Leaking oil and coolant externally pretty bad last time I ran it. Going to go with the edelbrock performer air gap intake, and probably a 650 edelbrock carb. Not looking for a high-performance carb I will tune all the time. Just one a bit better than what we have now to match the intake and maybe pickup a few ponies in the process. Afterward I will take it back to plainfield for a second dyno run!

Also if the finances allow it, I will put on a disc brake conversion kit. Worse case scenario I can do this later. Also possibly new shocks and springs all around as well.

Anyone have any ideas, input, ETC for this let me know. This will be an ongoing project that will be mainly to spruce the car up make it more presentable (not award winning though) and safer to drive. I also want to put a brass plaque inside the car in honor of my late uncle, the original owner 10 years ago.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

thats all for now but I will have more pretty quick. What I have found interesting is on this 39 year old car the worst rust was on the bottom of the fenders, and on studying what's left of them they are perfect water traps. Perhaps in the repair somewhere I can add some drain holes. Everything underneath is in dang good shape. I have plenty more on the car to do but this is a good start!

Thanks! Just headin out to church now but when I come back I will take some close ups of the fenders. The worst of the rust is not that bad in the big picture.

I tell you I got really lucky. Some day I want to do a frame-off on it to spruce up the frame but I don't have the resources quite yet. But it doesn't need it so I gotta start somewhere!

My uncle bought the car a long time ago and right afterwards the dealer called him back wanting to buy it back and he said no. It's not a high performer or very saught after but from what I gather it has a unique set of options on it.

Update. Got the other fender off and now you can see what I will be doing to the fenders. Still more parts to come off but I'm writing down the sequence of removing the parts and keeping all the still good hardware in labeled bags so I should be good for reassy later.

driver's fender BEFORE

IMG_0455.jpg

passenger fender BEFORE

IMG_0456.jpg

Driver's side with patch panel. This is the worst of the two.

IMG_0457.jpg

Passenger with patch panel

IMG_0459.jpg

Driver's side

IMG_0453.jpg

even more bare

IMG_0450.jpg

Crap tacular brakes

IMG_0451.jpg

Can you see the stress crack? These were put on like 3000 miles ago and when it does get driven it's not that hard at all. DISC BRAKES ASAP! All four shoes on the front are like this.

IMG_0452.jpg

Yup!!! My dad ordered them like when we got the car years ago. Finally getting around to putting them in.

You may know on the reverse side of the fender there is a "support brace" welded inside. On the passenger side that is still intact, but on the driver's side it's rotted away too so I will have to recreate it best I can, but I think it won't have to be pretty being it's on the INSIDE not seen from the outside.

I'm going to hopefully have some of the body guys help me out at work at least in the planning and what I should do. I could pay them in dollars or food or beer or whatever to get their 20+ years experience shined onto my project.

that is still a beautiful car.. i'd love to have one of those.

it's so weird seeing drum brakes on the *front* of a car.

Thanks! :) I'm hoping to preserve it best I can. It's more of a cruiser but it still moves pretty good.

try stopping a 3 ton 68 F250 loaded to ~5 tons with 4 wheel drums on hiway 8 outta elcajon cali...fun mountains....:noes:

Were they at least power drum brakes?

well today I spent some more time on it and got it pretty much as far apart as it will be for now for the body work up front. I got plenty more to do suspension wise too.

Here are the two fenders. I took all the polished trim, emblems, rubber pieces, and hardware off. Going to bring them up to work tomorrow so that when we come back to work Tuesday on our lunch breaks this one body guy can help me patch them up.

IMG_0489.jpg

My mom is scared to look at it.

IMG_0490.jpg

This alternator bolt absolutely will not come out. Torch time???

IMG_0496.jpg

Here is the core support, I pretty much took it off as one piece. Refinishing that will be a project unto itself.

IMG_0498.jpg

Here is one little piece of the core support I un bolted and cleaned up and repainted as an experiment. I think it looks nice, and would like to make the rest of the core support look the same.

IMG_0499.jpg

Also for grins I took all 8 plugs out, gave each cylinder a shot of lubricant and hand tightened the plugs back in. I don't see it being apart more than a few months, but I figure it would not hurt to keep something slippery in the cylinders. Keep checkin back, I'm doing a lot of work to it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info