Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
I havent exactly heard the best things about sony car audio products. I have a kenwood and love it. Something like this should work pretty well http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696379&type=product&id=1198888712935 .

I definitely seemed like with the new HU my volume was able to go a little louder. But it sounded horrible because i was playing it through my shitty ass stock grand prix speakers. I ended up upgrading to Alpine type-s speakers all the way around. So even if the volume does increase quite a bit, its not gonna matter if the stock speakers cant take the power.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Product Features
Chip IC amplifier delivers 50 watts peak power (22 watts RMS) x 4 channels
Satellite Radio-ready: compatible with XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio (XM or SIRIUS tuner, antenna and subscription required for activation)
HD Radio compatibility displays information from HD Radio broadcasts (HD Radio delivers CD-quality sound for compatible stations in areas where HD Radio is available; requires additional tuner, not included)
Professional installation is strongly recommended for this product. Please visit your local Best Buy store for details.
Bluetooth-ready for added convenience
Plays back CD discs, plus MP3, WMA and AAC formats
Theft-deterring flip-down detachable faceplate
Dot matrix display
1 rear auxiliary input allows for connection to optional CD changer (not included)
2 preamp outputs (2V) for connection to a separate amp (not included)
AM/FM tuner with 24 presets (6 AM, 18 FM)
System Q and Supreme sound control
EQ modes for a customized listening experience
DIN cage-mounting style
Remote included

Are you talking about a charger/FM transmitter? Cause it doesnt look as though this one is capable of a direct dock connection.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
alpine is the only way to go espically if you want to use an ipod. besides the fact that alpine is prettymuch the best in the industry (as far as mainstream consumers are concerned) it is the first and mabye still only head unit that supports full speed ipod connection. not only does this mean the titles show up fast on the screen, but navigating the screen to find artists, albums, etc... will go just as fast as your ipod, instead of the load page, next... load page, next... load page, next... of all the other ipod units out there. i used to be really into car audio, and believe me 99% of people who compete use alpine for a reason. in my corvette all i have is alpine and JL...hell, even my civic has alpine stock! i suggest you check them out!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
i'm not looking to really spend over $200. its just not worth it in a car that the days could potentially be numbered (stolen). my main concern is the ipod, second is volume. i'm not talking booming loud but the stock radio while using my itrip is pathetically quiet. even the focus is way louder with its stock radio.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
A new head unit will be pushing more power out to the speakers than a stock head unit does, so yes it will be louder, and the sound will be a lot clearer.
mine doesnt put any power to the speakers... i use the preouts to the amps... then the amps to the speakers!!!

but seriously though... for you, alpine makes a entry level headunit with that same ipod connectivity as the one i showed you.. but without the fancy display, and it still plays mp3's and cd's and all that. and it costs under your $200 limit

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have a Sony headunit with an AUX input, and im really kicking myself in the ass because the input has kicked the bucket and will only work on one bank of speakers now. And like it was said before, it will definitely be louder, but it'll sound like crap, and probably will eventually blow the shitty speakers. I would also suggest upgrading the speakers to something a little better, $50 a speaker would probably do what you want.....but then again thats getting up in price again....I would say get the head unit with the Ipod charging type connection and if you need new speakers so be it later on down the line.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I have a Sony headunit with an AUX input, and im really kicking myself in the ass because the input has kicked the bucket and will only work on one bank of speakers now. And like it was said before, it will definitely be louder, but it'll sound like crap, and probably will eventually blow the shitty speakers. I would also suggest upgrading the speakers to something a little better, $50 a speaker would probably do what you want.....but then again thats getting up in price again....I would say get the head unit with the Ipod charging type connection and if you need new speakers so be it later on down the line.

i disagree... a nice head unit and good solid wiring are so much more important than speakers. i have personally heard $20 wal mart subwoofers and speakers outperform $400 JL speakers and it was all because of the setup of the system. people tend to over-speaker their cars. if you arent planning on running a 4 channel amplifier to your speakers, dont even bother with the speakers, because they will only dissapoint you.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
i disagree... a nice head unit and good solid wiring are so much more important than speakers. i have personally heard $20 wal mart subwoofers and speakers outperform $400 JL speakers and it was all because of the setup of the system. people tend to over-speaker their cars. if you arent planning on running a 4 channel amplifier to your speakers, dont even bother with the speakers, because they will only dissapoint you.

I really don't think that the shitty OEM early 90's speakers that are in the honda are really going to stack up to the 50ish max watt's that the headunit is going to put out. I've heard people put in a headunit with no speakers, like i have done, and the sound isn't that much better at all. But usually the weak link is going to be the speakers in the OEM system. I don't claim to be any sort of expert of audio, but stock speakers < aftermarket speakers (usually). I'm not talking about new cars with Bose or infinity OEM equipment. I'm talking baseline, cassette and 4 speaker set-up in an early 90's honda, which is what this conversation is based around. I've personally blown my stock speakers, and i don't listen to my music loud, OEM blows donkey balls. :dunno:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I really don't think that the shitty OEM early 90's speakers that are in the honda are really going to stack up to the 50ish max watt's that the headunit is going to put out. I've heard people put in a headunit with no speakers, like i have done, and the sound isn't that much better at all. But usually the weak link is going to be the speakers in the OEM system. I don't claim to be any sort of expert of audio, but stock speakers < aftermarket speakers (usually). I'm not talking about new cars with Bose or infinity OEM equipment. I'm talking baseline, cassette and 4 speaker set-up in an early 90's honda, which is what this conversation is based around. I've personally blown my stock speakers, and i don't listen to my music loud, OEM blows donkey balls. :dunno:

Even though he has aftermarket speakers, I still disagree with your comment about the stock speakers. Most people don't actually spend the time to tune their new head unit tobthe dynics of the speakers, weather they be stock or aftermarket. That is what makes the biggest difference in the sound of the system

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Even though he has aftermarket speakers, I still disagree with your comment about the stock speakers. Most people don't actually spend the time to tune their new head unit tobthe dynics of the speakers, weather they be stock or aftermarket. That is what makes the biggest difference in the sound of the system

I agree with that, but I would say the average consumer doesn't know how to properly tune their headunit to their speakers. Hell I don't, I fiddle around until i get the settings that i personally like. Whether or not im self destructing my speakers, idk. But yes I would agree a properly set up stock system can still sound good, but a properly set up aftermarket will probably sound better. But its a moot point considering he's got the aftermarket speakers. I don't want to make it sound like im arguing, i'm not, i'm just trying to better understand the workings of the audio system, and usually questions get left unanswered, but striking up a discussion, more leads to the questions I want answered.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
im not arguing either, my only point is that people tend to put way more speaker in theircars than is nesscary, and more often than not it sounds worse than the stock setup. IMO the Headunit being installed properly and tuned with HP/ LP filters will make a greater improvement in sound quality than just by buying some speakers. also when considering subs, the amp and box are the real thing you should be looking at spending the most on... ive seen $20 subs hit harder than $400 subs, because the amp and box were chosen perfectly for the application.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info