The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well here's immediately why i wanted a new thread...

lsx's are in fucking EVERYTHING. my suburban, fwd grand prix's, heavy duty trucks, corvettes, etc... in that aspect, I personally would rather have a ls.

additionally, while everything i have read about the new amazing sprayed plasma sleeved blocks, are just incredible, and technology of the future... i am still leery of stuff that hasn't been out that long... push rods are simple and work, and are time tested... longevity i am more comfortable with the ls than the dohc crazy motors... in a new car. id love a coyote with a warranty... i am just nervous about what happens when something breaks on this motor that is in a single car... i know little about them, and they likely share a lot of parts with its brethren but i am not positive... but just what little information i have i would chose a used lsx over a used coyote something... new... new with warranty, coyote would be sitting in my driveway.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
well here's immediately why i wanted a new thread...

lsx's are in fucking EVERYTHING. my suburban, fwd grand prix's, heavy duty trucks, corvettes, etc... in that aspect, I personally would rather have a ls.

additionally, while everything i have read about the new amazing sprayed plasma sleeved blocks, are just incredible, and technology of the future... i am still leery of stuff that hasn't been out that long... push rods are simple and work, and are time tested... longevity i am more comfortable with the ls than the dohc crazy motors... in a new car. id love a coyote with a warranty... i am just nervous about what happens when something breaks on this motor that is in a single car... i know little about them, and they likely share a lot of parts with its brethren but i am not positive... but just what little information i have i would chose a used lsx over a used coyote something... new... new with warranty, coyote would be sitting in my driveway.

These are reasons I would rather have a coyote. One of the things I love about my M3 is that the motor was made for the M3 only. Unlike a vette, which shares its motors with everything and anything. When you pop the hood of a base model vette, what do you see? Nothing special IMO. Coyote>LS3 for sure. Plus, the aftermarket has shown some ridiculous gains in a very short time frame with this motor.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
These are reasons I would rather have a coyote. One of the things I love about my M3 is that the motor was made for the M3 only. Unlike a vette, which shares its motors with everything and anything. When you pop the hood of a base model vette, what do you see? Nothing special IMO. Coyote>LS3 for sure. Plus, the aftermarket has shown some ridiculous gains in a very short time frame with this motor.

Absolutely, I definitely understand where you are coming from... to me though, the rarity factor isn't as big of a deal. I'm more of a function guy than a "zomg my engine was handbuilt by the son of zeus out of titaniums only developed on mars" sort of guy...

ls motors have been proven for quite some time now, which is purely the reason i would lean that way in a used application. like i said, new i would probably lean more to the coyote, as long as i had an awesome warranty.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ls motors plus boost is just insane what they have done, i know the coyotes are right there as well. but look at the hot rod magazine article that made over 1200 hp or something out of a stock 4.8 ls motor... my thought process goes like this... okay how much power can i put through this thing, and a close second... how much is it going to cost when i grenade this one :rofl:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
ls motors plus boost is just insane what they have done, i know the coyotes are right there as well. but look at the hot rod magazine article that made over 1200 hp or something out of a stock 4.8 ls motor...

We're also talking about a motor that has pretty much been around since 97..... Let me know how much HP the coyote motor is making in 15 years.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
when you grenade an ls motor imo it might just be a little easier to deal with than a new coyote.

Depends. If you grenade a 2011 LS motor, I bet it'd be just as hard to deal with as a 11 coyote. An LS3 may be more interchangable with other LSX motors, but the Coyote long-block is surprisingly cheap for a brand new crate motor if you take a look.

6/6.5K for a Coyote crate motor, about the same for an LS3. I find this surprising since the Coyote motor is in all honesty far more advanced than the LS3, but is the same/similar price in crate motor form.

If you want to get technical, if you pop an LS motor in say a 2002 Burban or the Modular motor in an 2002 Expedition, it'd be just as easy to source cheap parts due to the cross-platform use.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info