Advice for intake/fuel setup on 69 Impala

Well it won't happen before dyno day, but I plan on doing a bunch of front end work and while that is being done, r&r the intake again due to some leaks that are starting and hopefully upgrade the intake and carburetor.

I plan to leave the bottom end stock for now. I was thinking an Edelbrock performer series (the idle-5500 intake) intake manifold with a Holley double pumper 650? Does this sound too radical for a stock engine? Or a nice upgrade from stock?

My buddy works at advance auto and can get me the intake brand new for a good price. I was thinking of going used on the carb. Maybe I can replace the fuel pump too while we are at it, but it seems to be in order as is.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have some other ideas I have been tossing around. I talked to my neighbor and he suggested upgrading the cam too. Reason being going with an air gap intake and an upgraded carb, could see the complete benefit from a matching cam.

He has an old chevelle with a 350 and he got the intake, a holley carb and then found what edlebrock recommended for camshaft, got the specs, and bought a summit cam with the same specs and that thing runs sweet.

Any input? Would it be worth doing carb, intake, and cam on a stock engine and tranny?

Matter of fact, the impala that WAS on the dyno in Plainfield is now coming apart in my garage. When I get my computer back i'll post up pics. Taking the front end all apart to fix the fenders, do suspension and brake work, and also the engine work.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
the summit cams are just re-boxed edelbrock cams anyways. i got one in my 389 poncho motor. cant beat the deal. i think it was $100ish bucks for cam and lifters.

i see no issue with throwing that into a stock engine. how many miles on it? do you know what the stock compression rating is?

your tranny should have no issue taking more power but i would suggest a shift kit maybe to increase your shift firmness.

Okay well maybe I will just keep the stock cam.

I had a chevy pickup with essentially the same engine that had the performer intake and a 650 edelbrock and it ran amazing.

So the intake you are talking about, should I get the AIR GAP performer? My neighbor said they have an air gap that is idle-5000 rpm and one that is 1500-6500 rpm... I would want the idle-5000 based on the engine. I just have heard great things about the air gap.

As for the engine, it has 44000 miles on it. Runs like a champ, absolutely no noises, does not burn a drop of oil. Considering on our dyno day it put out exactly what it should have, I would say it has to be a tight bottom end although I have not ever compression tested it. I changed the spark plugs about 5000 miles ago and when they came out they were all clean with NO oil or anything weird on them.

that's what I thought. I never ever had a driveability problem with my ol truck with a 650. Ran just as good as all the fuel injected cars in our driveway at the time.

Would it be a decent idea to get one of those round chrome air cleaner boxes for the top of the carb? would it flow better than the stock setup through that tiny tube??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info