Industrial fallout removal

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
For those who don't know what that is it includes rail dust from trains(when your car is shipped), brake dust and any kind of metal pollutants in the air. Basically it bonds to the paint, embeds in the paint and rusts. This is mostly visible on white cars and grey cars. I have seen cars only a year old full of it.
Anyone who has used a clay bar to try and get rid of these knows how frustrating and time consuming to remove these spots. I've spent up to 2 or 3 hours claying a car.
I read up on a product that saves A TON of time claying.
I still clay every car I detail to remove other contaminants but the fallout just wipes right off.
Spray it on, let it dwell and when it reacts to the iron it loosens it up, turns it purple and then you wipe it off.
Some of these cars I have used it on don't even show any fallout, but the product found it.
This is called IRON X
It's a little pricey, but like I said it saves a TON of time.
Oh yeah, just a little warning. It smells VERY bad. You are supposed to wear a mask and gloves when using it.
Here are some pics of some light colored cars I have used it on. Includes action shots

2011-07-31111526.jpg

2011-07-31180701.jpg

048.jpg

049-1.jpg

074-1.jpg

177.jpg

176.jpg

179.jpg

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU! If this is supposed to take care of the stuff that causes all these tiny orange dots on my 3000, then it is going to be a lifesaver!!! WHERE CAN I GET IT?? Those dots are such a pain in the ass to clay bar off, but that is the only thing I've found that takes care of it so far.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU! If this is supposed to take care of the stuff that causes all these tiny orange dots on my 3000, then it is going to be a lifesaver!!! WHERE CAN I GET IT?? Those dots are such a pain in the ass to clay bar off, but that is the only thing I've found that takes care of it so far.

Lol. Yes it will take care of the spots. Wash the car, spray the product on and let it dwell for a few minutes and then wipe away with a sponge. No need to scrub or anything.
I get all my stuff from autogeek.net but you may be able to find it on amazon or ebay for a similar price
http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html
One of the reasons I posted this is because I know there are a lot of detailers on here and I figured I would share something that would help save them time.
It is Safe for clearcoats, just don't use it on chrome. Also you can use it on clearcoated wheels and it will pull the hard to remove brake dust out.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I think I mentioned this stuff on one of your previous threads but this stuff is absolutely amazing. Any car finish will benefit from it and it is incredibly easy. When doing a full detail I would use an APC cleaner to strip the old wax, wash, then IRONX. If you take your time and srub the whole car over with this you get a finish that looks almost near just waxed when you are done. Excellent product.

I have never tried it on wheels, but I would imagine it is similar to SONAX Wheel Cleaner. Thanks for that info!

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
How bout hard water stains?

No, just iron

The removal depends on what type of stain it is. Some you can just wash off, some you can use a paint cleanser and some you need to actually remove clear to get the etchings out.
If you are near Perfect Auto Finish I would pick up their "Paint Cleanser". It works very well at removing most hard water spots.
Here is a good article on finding out which type of water spots you have
Scroll down to the Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 waters spots.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...pots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Sooooo Glad I had this stuff for this last van I did. To remove the amount of fallout on this thing it would have taken the whole entire weekend to clay it. (Now removing the paint overspray was a different story lol).
You can tell the amount of Iron embedded in the paint by the purple.
046_zpsf1e65b75.jpg

047_zpse49a9c9d.jpg

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
My one buddy told me that if you live by train tracks, you will get rusty metal slivers in your paint from the tracks and wheels of the train. Is this true? Any of you detailers ever seen this?

Yes. BRAND NEW cars will have this as well. Some of them come in on trains or semis or whatever and the metallic brake dust embeds itself in the paint. Sometimes you can't see it before it rusts, but you can tell if you spray this product on because it reacts with the iron and turns purple.
The last hyundai I did was a brand new 2013 and it had fallout.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I don't know about slivers, but you will get metallic dust from them for sure. Commuter cars that sit at the metro stations everyday feel like sand paper unless you clay them every 3 months or so.

ya, my pricks doesn't see my work any more... industrial park with one major train track near by- my car sitting outside here for 9 hours gets coated in black dust.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
My white civic used to get this really bad and I'm assuming my new Hyundai will too, definitely a life saver if it works as well as you say it does cuz that shit was a bitch to get off!

Any worries about getting it on metal, like exhaust tips? Or how about that raw plastic that some cars have? You said it's pretty strong stuff

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
My white civic used to get this really bad and I'm assuming my new Hyundai will too, definitely a life saver if it works as well as you say it does cuz that shit was a bitch to get off!

Any worries about getting it on metal, like exhaust tips? Or how about that raw plastic that some cars have? You said it's pretty strong stuff

It says not to use on bare metal, chrome or brake calipers.
In my experience the only thing I have had it discolor a little bit is wheel weights and calipers. I usually mist it all over the car and wait a few minutes for it to do it's thing and then wash the car as I normally would. I've had that concern about the plastic peices on bumpers but it didn't discolor them.
Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info