Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
As everyone knows from my "dyno" thread, i'm having issues w/ the car. Ill try to cliff note it since ill just start rambling and lose my spot...

Ok, here we go.

The car has a Mopar Stage 3 kit which consists of (most importantly) a new exhaust manifold (which is fully ported) and a Mitsu TD05HR-15GK2-10cm2 turbo. The car dynoed 340whp at 21psi which is extremely good for the boost level (and a potentially bum turbo). However, theres a problem.

When i accelerate I hit very hard and there are no problems at all. No hesitation, no smoke out the exhaust, nothing. When i let off the gas and start to decel, my exhaust will do the normal srt gurgle but then randomly it will pop louder than normal and smoke will come out the tip. Smoke amount varies and from what i can SEE, it looks like whiteish smoke. Havent noticed any blue.

There is a weird smell from the exhaust that COULD be oil but it doesnt smell like it to me or any of my friends. THe exhaust tip itself has no oil residue anywhere and has the normal carbon buildup.

Moving on, it would appear i have a leak coming from where the turbo and manifold mate up. I can see oil on the tray below the exhaust mani and its burning off so i have smoke under the hood...and we all know how long it takes oil to burn off...yippee. However, i cant readily tell if the oil is coming from the turbo or from the return line under it. The car will mostly go back to AMS so they can check over their work. Initial concerns were that the turbo seals were pretty much shot but i would think id have a lot of crap coming out the exhaust during wot as well...i can SMELL oil in the engine bay but its the shit being burned off..I know i'm being vague and its hard to diagnose this problem via computer, but I'm throwing it out there mainly for ideas to check and think about.

So...thoughts? questions?

edit: i took this video right now infront of my house (6/18) and you can see what the car is doing. and its as if my fears have come true, i am indeed blowing some smoke when i'm on the gas too....enjoy

http://thechicagogarage.org/misc/MOV03024.MPG

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
heres another update as well....the previous owner of the turbo just informed me that the turbo was rebuilt when he owned it tho ams just emailed me saying they're 99% sure the center section of the turbo is leaking........the plot thickens

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
thru the wastegate. the stage 3 spools normally around 3200 maybe? w/ the port work i should be spooling closer to 2900-3000. i can also HEAR oil dripping and ive got two fresh oil spots on the ground now

also, watch the vid i posted. thats a lot of smoke man

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well as you can see in these pics theres oil all over these lines...

DSC03027.JPG

DSC03028.JPG

DSC03029.JPG

DSC03030.JPG

and this one is circling where the oil is appearing on the lower heat shield...its hard to see in this pic, hence the circle

DSC03026.JPG

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From the description of extra loud popping and smoke, it almost seems as if it's running super rich and back-firing through the exhaust. Just from personal experience, oil smoke tends to take a bit to disappear, while fuel smoke quickly dissipates. And then there's the oil leak, which I don't know, it may or may not be related. You may have two issues. I'm just rambling here, and other guys with more experience with these cars can probably point you closer to the issue. Good luck, Mook.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well....the previous owner was heard from..the reason he had the turbo rebuilt was b/c some of the s3 turbo kits went out w/ a defective tial wheel and his happened to be one that took a crap longer down the road so he had to have it fixed....

turbochargers.com charges a flat $275 to replace the bearings, seals and balance the turbo....not bad

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info