Why do I keep getting rejected for emission testing.

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I've been trying to pass emissions for the last few months and every time I go, I get rejected. It isn't failing any tests, but some of the tests aren't ready. Catalytic Covnerter Eff, Heated Oxygen Sensor, and EGR Flow are all 'Not Ready'. Every thing else was fine and the there are no codes being thrown. I drove 35 miles (from the burbs to the city) and pulled into the emissions testing place right off the highway.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
I've been trying to pass emissions for the last few months and every time I go, I get rejected. It isn't failing any tests, but some of the tests aren't ready. Catalytic Covnerter Eff, Heated Oxygen Sensor, and EGR Flow are all 'Not Ready'. Every thing else was fine and the there are no codes being thrown. I drove 35 miles (from the burbs to the city) and pulled into the emissions testing place right off the highway.

Anyone have any suggestions?

codes and the readyness monitors take time to reset. They also have specific drive cycles and times that have to be completed. I know my cat readyness monitor wont throw a code for about 5 or 6 drive cycles depending on how far I drive. usually u have to be crusing on the highway or so for it to run. And it has to fail twice before it will set a code or pass once before it will say ready. Hope this helps

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I keep getting SES P300 codes(multiple misfires) I reset them before I get to the emissions place. I haven't tracked down why I get them but I was under the impression that as long as it is cleared (My DTC's show none on the emissions report) that I would be fine. Is it because I keep reseting my light, that it is causing other systems to never "be ready"?

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
YES! anytime you clear codes, it resets the readiness monitors, thats how they make sure you don't just clear the codes and drive in.

OOooooooooo. I figured it would only be applied to THAT specific code. I'm just going to remove the multiple misfire code for now and get my emissions done.

Is there anyway to tell system readiness using Powrtuner so I don't need to keep going to get emissions testing and getting rejected?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I'm fairly certain with the cam in his car, it needs to be tuned just right as too not throw that code. Most people just set it to non reporting but that can be a problem if your car actually does start to random misfire from something else. I did the same time last time i tested and cleared the P0420 code while sitting in the lanes waiting.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
If you know someone with LS1M it does emissions readiness scanning. I have one if you want to make a trip out to Palatine later in the week. (The PT does not do the monitors.)

Also, in the PT, make sure the codes you want to modify are set to 3-No Reporting in the DTC Fault Type section. Leave the settings in the DTC Fault Enabled section alone.

EDIT: Just rememebered that a Tech II or SnapOn scantool can also check the monitors.

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
No DTC codes are being thrown. Catalytic Converter Eff, EGR Flow, and Heated Oxygen Sensor are Not Ready. I drove my car 20 min before I got there. I did disable the multiple misfire code a few days ago and I drove up and down the highway some. I've driven around the city a little too. I wonder since driving around the city means mostly stop and go only up to 30 mph, that I am not completing any "driving cycles".

If you have no codes disabled at all, that could be why you are getting your multiple misfires since you are cammed.

What is the sheet saying?

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Oh my goodness. The drive cycle for each one is listed on the web. IIRC the drive cycle for the Cat and O2 is generally cold startup, warm up, and then drive on the highway at constant speed. Then for the EGR you let of the pedal and let the car caost for a while until speed is down by half or 30mph depenfing on how fst you are going. Either way you have to get on the highway.

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Yep, it'll take your PCM 50-100mi. to get everything in "passed" status again.

Negative, two years in a row I have passed emmisions resetting my computer pulling the cable, drive it for one day then go to emissions. I then get it tested it passes and within a day the CEL comes back on. 1st time was EGR flow, and just recently I had misfire on one cylinder. I passed and on the way home bam CEL turns on with you guessed it misfire.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
READINESS MONITORS
An essential part of the OBD II system are the "readiness monitors". These are self-tests the OBD II system runs to make sure everything is functioning normally. When a test runs and pases without any faults, the OBD II system runs the next monitor and the next until all have completed. This may take some time because some monitors require specific driving conditions before they will run. Also, if a fault is found during any test, it may prevent subsequent monitors from completing.

The misfire detection, fuel system and continuous system monitors are active and ready all the time, but the non-continuous monitors require a certain series of operating conditions before they will set - and you cannot do a plug-in OBD II test unless all of the monitors are ready.

To set the converter monitor, for example, the vehicle may have to be driven a certain distance at a variety of different speeds. The requirements for the various monitors can vary considerably from one vehicle manufacturer to another, so there is no "universal" drive cycle that will guarantee all the monitors will be set and ready.

As a general rule, doing some stop-and-go driving around town at speeds up to about 30 mph followed by five to seven minutes of 55 mph plus highway speed driving will usually set most or all of the monitors (the converter and EVAP system readiness monitors are the hardest ones to set). So if you are checking the OBD II system and find a particular monitor is not ready, it may be necessary to test drive the vehicle to set all the monitors.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) realized this shortcoming in current generation

OBD II systems. So, when it created the rules for states that want to implement OBD II testing in place of tailpipe dyno testing, it allows up to two readiness flags to not be set prior to taking an OBD II test on 1996 to 2000 vehicles, and one readiness flag not to be set on 2001 and newer vehicles.

Another good bit of info:
http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/readiness.pdf

You got lucky basically :)

Kbrown

Regular
Aug 18, 2009
Huntley, IL
Yep, it'll take your PCM 50-100mi. to get everything in "passed" status again.

not so true, if you find your cars drive cycle and run that about 3 times in a row they will flip,

I had the same problem with my GTP and that had to be done before it would flip over....

here is GM's cycle just so you have it: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

i did this about 3 times and they flipped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info