School me on truck stuff, starting with truck tents

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I wasn't sure if this should go in Off Topic since it's a bit all over the map, but...

Ok so long story short, Chevy isn't buying back my truck, but if it's in for six more business days in the next nine months+, it'll be a lemon anyway, so either the truck will be a gem after a year or it'll sort itself out. I got a whopping $500 Accessories card, so I need to spend it on something. I was going to have them do the block heater that was supposed to be in there anyway, but I don't think that qualifies as an accessory.

I normally can't find much in manufacturer accessory catalogs I really really like at the price they offer things at, but I thought I'd look at what they had anyway. I did see this Napier Sportz bed tent and its "link" on there, and I was a bit intrigued. I'd like to not have to get a rack top tent as that would mean an expensive tent and an expensive rack. I'd like to not (yet) get a cap, and I don't really want a rack all that badly yet either, especially as I'm not sure what the end game will end up being.

For now, I'd like to just set up for weekend tripping sort of stuff, e.g. heading up to Silver Lake or Drummond, the UP, etc... and camping. It'll probably almost always be just me in the truck, +1 at most. The back "seats" will probably go in favor of some sort of modular or useful storage space... so I was thinking why can't I get everything else I need under a tonneau? That's a three season tent but I'm sure I could modify the setup to accommodate colder weather if needed or eventually get a cap for those sorts of situations, but for now I'm not planning on doing any winter excursions. I'd like to eventually do some big boy overland stuff, but that's a long ways away. The reason I like the "link" is so that it can house the stuff that has to get out of the bed in order to set the tent up, which honestly won't be that much as I'm not going to be doing anything super serial for a while and will be doing things with people who are geared up to their eyeballs in case poo splatters.

gLnHsx.jpg

5anoSl.jpg

I also entertained the idea of the bed rug, but I haul a lot of dirty outdoor stuff and leaky salt bags, and don't need its particular utility, but that would be another good option. If not any of the above, I was just going to get some hitch crap and D rings... stuff I know I will definitely be using anyway.

As an aside, it was my first experience dealing directly with Chevy Customer Care. Good lord WTF.

I need the truck to be able to haul dirty and loose crap in the bed when it's on regular duty, as well as larger items every once in a while, so I don't really want to build it out like a lot of the nicer stuff I see. And I dislike trailers a lot. So today was the first time I considered a truck tent, I'd get an airbedz to go along with it probably. And the feedback on the Napier tent seem to be pretty good, even among the Taco guys.

Anyway, FWIW, here's the list in all its glory, am I missing any gems?
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/search/2018/Chevrolet/Colorado#/12001/Accessories?sortId=top

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I’ve been getting into overlanding so when it comes to truck tents I’ve seen a fair amount of opinions and reviews.

From what I’ve seen those type of truck tents in particular are a pretty mixed bag. The biggest complaint is the fact that they are difficult to setup and if you want to head into town or whatever you have to completely disassemble camp. That’s really a concern with most RTT as well.

Overall people seem to like the built on the bed tents for the light duty use but just be cognizant of the draw backs. Mainly having to setup and take down whenever you want to move the truck

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Honestly the way I’d go in your situation would be a cap and sleeping platform w/ storage underneath.

I’m planning a small camp trailer build. Either teardrop style or small 4x6 I can mount a RTT to. Camp stays setup and gear is always packed.

If there really is nothing else you like and you have the gift card maybe just getting the tent wouldn’t be a bad idea. If you want to plan long term I’d look into the cap and sleeping platform or a small trailer.

Like I said, they aren’t terrible tents but everyone that complains say all the gear has to be moved out of the bed, pitch tent and then reverse if they want to do some backwoods driving or head to town.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'd pass on truck tents. Read KJs thread and I agree with Muskie go with a cap and a sleeping platform or a rack and a roof top tent. Just depends on what you want to do.

You could also go trailer, as discussed but then you are getting past the truck and not sure if that is your angle.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
The long term plans for the truck don't change if I get the truck tent. Right now those plans are an ARE V series cap with a toolbox built into the side, or a full rack soft cap and RTT or platform, etc... But I'm not spending that kind of coin on it until I'm sure it'll be here long term anyway.

The truck tent was just something that seemed to be a nice solution to the lighter duty trips where I can just throw shit under the tonneau and go. I'm not averse to spending a little extra time or effort to build up or collapse the tent when needed, but the point would be to take it on trips where that doesn't really get in the way of plans.

I've seen a lot of stuff in the build thread on here, and plenty in the Colorado and Tacoma forums, but a) a lot of that stuff will be overkill for anything I'll ever do, and b) a lot of it kills use cases here around the property where I actually like and use the full bed without the restrictions a cap, fridge, drawers, etc... I'm sure I'll have to make compromises on that front down the road, especially since I don't want to go the trailer route, but I don't need to build like I'm going to the North Pole because I'm not. Anyway they're long term plans and it's likely they will change along the way, and on top of that I'm not sure how long the truck will be here at this point in time.

Plus, I'm not sure I see anything else on that list which is worth it minus the D rings. But I might be overlooking useful stuff, which was a big part of why I'd asked about it.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Might I ask what happened with the truck?

It spent its first four weeks in the shop. Replaced a bunch of DEF components and then eventually the PCM. I was going to go up North in MI with some family but had to scrap those plans as I didn't want to take the loaner up there instead.

It was nice for just under two weeks, CEL came back on P1050... This was around the 4th of July so they were already kind of resource-strained so earliest appointment was a week out. Then they called me the day before the appointment and said their diesel tech was going to be on vacation so they'd have to reschedule me (whoops). So I went a total of about two weeks with the CEL popping after every time I cleared it, canceled a Silver Lake run.

It was in the bay about a week while they figured out it was the DEF injector/pump, which was one of the items they replaced the first time around. A couple of those days were due to a scratch they put on the tailgate. It wasn't a bad one but in order to fix it right, they resprayed it. It was nice they were so open and honest about it, I appreciated that.

That put me at about 24 business days down less than two months into ownership, and the components that failed (minus PCM) are considered "minor" under the EPA rules, so they're basically only covered by the B2B and after that, fuck you, you better not remove them or else the feds will come and eat your babies, plus the tune would eat what's left of the powertrain warranty.

IL lemon law I believe is 30 business days down or 4x for same failure within the first year. So I'm more or less a problem or two away from seeing that threshold within the next nine months+. The Service Manager is the one who suggested I call Chevy and see if they'd do a buyback, so I thought, "why not?".

The first time I called, they said a rep would call me back within a week, and if I didn't hear from them by the eighth day, I should give them another ring. So I did. I was then connected to a rep who said it landed on her desk but she had been on vacation, so she took my longwinded story and supposedly noted it all in the system. She said I should hear back within a week, but that I shouldn't expect a favorable decision for the buyback, but... it's still worth it to put in the request because sometimes they'll come back with extended warranty offers, etc... She told me they'd be contacting the dealership to get all the details and match the timelines up and stuff.

Well two weeks went by and nothing. So I called. I was told it was on the supervisor's desk and that she was busy, and she'd call me back. Several days later, I called back again just wondering if there was any sort of update, and I was told the same thing. Several more days later, still no callback, so I do the whole dance again. This whole time, I'm in communication with my SM about whether or not they (the dealer) has been contacted yet as per the procedure I was told, and the answer was always "nope". A few more days go by, and I finally get a call but I was unable to answer the phone (work). She leaves a message saying I didn't qualify because the truck had only been in for repair once.

At that point, I was pissed, but maybe she just misspoke? So I called back as soon as I could and -- what do you know -- she's unavailable but she was scheduled to call me back the next Tuesday (this was on Thursday I think), and basically I'd just have to wait, but I could leave a message if I wanted. So I did. And of course, I wasn't able to discuss it or figure anything out until I finally came up on her schedule on Tuesday.

I asked her why she thought it'd only been in once, and she read what were apparently the notes back, and there was little to nothing of detail in them. So now I'm not sure if the initial rep (who was helpful and attentive) or the supervisor is fucking around. I told the supervisor the dealership hadn't been contacted about this, and she immediately threw her subordinate under the bus on that one. I was really taken aback that they had used two tiers of the system, spent a while on the phone with me, apparently forwarded the case to the people who make these decisions, and never once bothered to get any of the info straight. SM's reaction: "well it's GM so..."

So after expressing how mystified I was that the whole ordeal that is clearly outlined via policy/procedure was such a clusterfuck, she offered me a $500 accessories card.

And that's how I got here.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Soft topper would be pretty good for truck bed camping. Just remember it had zero theft deterrents to it but easily removed or folded down if you need something taller.

It does look pretty nice and even with all the boxes ticked, comes in way under what the ARE V is at. Plus it's way more flexible and easier to get out of the way. But I do worry about thieves a lot....

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
It does look pretty nice and even with all the boxes ticked, comes in way under what the ARE V is at. Plus it's way more flexible and easier to get out of the way. But I do worry about thieves a lot....

I was going back and forth when I got my rollup cover for the Tacoma as it offers very little in the way of theft protection but I didn't want to shell out the cash for a topper, nor did I really like the look. That said I really dig the soft topper even if it doesn't provide much theft protection. At the very least it "hides" it from the casual person walking by. I ended up with the rollup type so I can at least run into a store after I golf or go shopping with some stuff in the bed. I don't leave anything that isn't locked / bolted to the truck back there

What do you plan on keeping in the bed? I think you suggested building some storage in the back jumpseat area and that would be my suggestion for your more valuable stuff.

I know you mentioned hauling dirt and stuff often have you considered a little 4x6 or 4x8 utility trailer for that kinda stuff. Bed Rug might be an option then and that could provide some insulation and more cozy feel for sleeping in the bed.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
What do you plan on keeping in the bed? I think you suggested building some storage in the back jumpseat area and that would be my suggestion for your more valuable stuff.

I know you mentioned hauling dirt and stuff often have you considered a little 4x6 or 4x8 utility trailer for that kinda stuff. Bed Rug might be an option then and that could provide some insulation and more cozy feel for sleeping in the bed.

It's an extended cab so there's some room back there but not much. I'd imagine the spare would be back in the bed (if doing any crawling or stuff like that), the extra battery, cooler, fishing gear if applicable, probably the maxtraxs too, maybe a bike, and whatever tent/bed arrangement I was packing.

I mean, it wouldn't be that much stuff that would be that valuable, and I'd keep tools in the cab along with the compressor etc... so maybe it wouldn't be bad. But I'd just hate to have anything nabbed regardless.

As far as trailers go, I just hate them, and would rather do without them unless absolutely necessary. I realize that does hinder me in figuring out solutions, but I'd just like to avoid them at all reasonable costs.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
It's an extended cab so there's some room back there but not much. I'd imagine the spare would be back in the bed (if doing any crawling or stuff like that), the extra battery, cooler, fishing gear if applicable, probably the maxtraxs too, maybe a bike, and whatever tent/bed arrangement I was packing.

Not sure the timeline for all this kit but honestly with that much stuff you are going to want a bed rack and RTT if you don't wanna do trailer. I can't really imagine clearing all that out of the bed everytime you want to camp for the night or move the vehicle. Especially a big old spare. Then you have the issue of securing it outside the vehicle. Bed rack you could lock the MaxxTrax, fishing gear (in a PVC pipe container). Thats like ultimate Overland setup right there though.

Softtopper and DIY sleeping platform maybe even with a bed slide drawer would keep most of the gear you listed. The spare is going to be a pain unless you do like a swing out tire mount and ruggedized bumper (at least it would for me). At least then you are really only looking at moving the bike out and cooler. Both easy enough to chain to a tree if needed.

Stop me if I'm getting annoying with replies but I've been looking at this stuff a lot recently and trying to plan my setup for months now so I'm enjoying the conversation and spit balling ideas.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Not sure the timeline for all this kit but honestly with that much stuff you are going to want a bed rack and RTT if you don't wanna do trailer. I can't really imagine clearing all that out of the bed everytime you want to camp for the night or move the vehicle. Especially a big old spare. Then you have the issue of securing it outside the vehicle. Bed rack you could lock the MaxxTrax, fishing gear (in a PVC pipe container). Thats like ultimate Overland setup right there though.

Softtopper and DIY sleeping platform maybe even with a bed slide drawer would keep most of the gear you listed. The spare is going to be a pain unless you do like a swing out tire mount and ruggedized bumper (at least it would for me). At least then you are really only looking at moving the bike out and cooler. Both easy enough to chain to a tree if needed.

Stop me if I'm getting annoying with replies but I've been looking at this stuff a lot recently and trying to plan my setup for months now so I'm enjoying the conversation and spit balling ideas.

Timeline would be: if I still have this truck and look like it's staying come spring, I'm going to start pulling the trigger on the bigger stuff. But until then, I'm going to be just looking at lighter, shorter, less challenging sorts of expeditions where the tire will probably stay put under the truck and packing/equipment will be relatively light.

As far as the spare goes, I'd probably just chain it to the truck when it's out, but yeah with a shitty back, I'd have to be a little careful when moving it.

I'm starting to think a rack based build makes a lot more sense than the cap idea. A rack would be a lot easier to remove and replace, and when it's on, it'd get in the way a lot less when doing the normal around-the-house crap.

And you're not getting annoying, I was actually hoping I wasn't starting to come off that way, especially how I'm bitchy about trailers, which limits my options a lot. I do appreciate the input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info