Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This has been the bane of my existence for almost a year now. It doesnt happen on cold start but becomes pretty consistent when the car is driven or has any heat in the engine bay. I've had the car at Komet a few times for go fast work and we've never been able to find the source or a problem. I've had the car at VW twice since Crystal Lake VW has been awesome about trying to get warranty work done even though I'm modded and BOTH times the car has been there, they could not get the noise to start up. The second time was last week and they even invited me back into the service area to sit and listen with the tech...they ran the car, drove it, etc...no noise. Naturally, whenever I drive it, noise is there.

I'm stumped on what it can be. And since the VW techs have only heard it in video, they cant figure it out....theyve run diagnostics, checked the engine over....everything looks fine.

Anyone have ANY ideas? I've thought alternator, tensioner pulley, another pulley someplace....no idea. I'm likely gonna leave it with Komet in August to try and solve it once and for all. Car drives flawless other than the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdf2tFC5Yw

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] as mentioned earlier - Is the A/C On?

our Cooper has an obnoxious noise/whine I can JUST barely hear, and figured out it was only while the A/C was on.

It almost sounds like your refrigerant could be low and its only when everything is super hot that its making surging sounds?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You talking about the "grinding" noise?

Correct, for lack of a better word.

[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] as mentioned earlier - Is the A/C On?

our Cooper has an obnoxious noise/whine I can JUST barely hear, and figured out it was only while the A/C was on.

It almost sounds like your refrigerant could be low and its only when everything is super hot that its making surging sounds?

VW refilled it thinking that was the cause, it wasnt. Unless I'm somehow leaking it rapidly.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Of course, I'd have to hear it in person. Even to isolate where it's coming from. Belt driven noise, chain driven noise, no idea.

Once you have the dealer have it over night they'll find it.

Sometimes I have to keep trucks for days to experience customer complaint

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
OK. So I'm 90% sure its AC related. Heres what happens -

AC off, car idling, noise is there. Bring rpms up a bit to really hear it, kick AC on, noise goes away. Turn AC off, noise comes back. Tested this yesterday then again today with my mom working the gas and AC. The noise for sure vanishes once the AC is on...gotta call VW and pick their brain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info