Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So I had the R in for service (still hunting a noise with zero luck) and they gave me a 18 Tiguan as a loaner. Aside from having nice amenities, it was saddled with a slushbox.

I haven't driven a traditional auto since the Supra, especially not since getting into a DSG. Here is my feedback -

Holy fuck regular autos suck cock. Slow, sloppy, uninspired. I honestly didn't think I would notice that much different from the DSG but holy fuck, I sure did. NOW, I have no experience with the GM and Ford autos found in the Mustang, etc so I cant really speak to those but I was shocked by how crappy that trans is. The service manager even commented on how much he hates it (we were talking about the tiguan when I dropped it off).

So I guess my point is....the DSG is awesome and I have no regrets getting one :rofl:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Some have strange take-off characteristics, but the good ones are really good. I just got out of a Golf R manual, and would take a DSG R any day of the week. The manual in that car just isn't that great.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
How reliable is a DSG vs a traditional auto though? Aren't the services much more expensive and frequent as well?

EDIT: to go along with that, I haven't heard any bad from VW, but the Mitsu transmissions are garbage.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I dont think I'm due for my first fluid change until 40k miles. Its not that expensive depending on who does it.

In the case of the VW DSG, super reliable. Not that drag racing is the be all end all of reliability stats, but folks are going 10s with just TCU tunes, no issues. Far more have had problems with the haldex than the trans.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
I love DCT in my GTR , night and day difference vs regular auto with TC. Paddle shifters work like they were supposed work unlike standard auto with paddle shifters . up-shifts are very fast and downshifts are awesome . I drove an auto C7 Z06 and was disappointed how slow the trans responded to shifts using paddle shifters . The other nice feature I like about this DCT that I can launch the car at any RPMs just like manual car . I can also adjust BOTL , car will build boost of the line pretty much like transbrake

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info