Out of State Emissions Testing

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I need to get my WRX emissions tested to renew it's registration. It expired in March so I'm already late but I figured better late than never. :picard: I still have it registered in IL and looking at the DMV website as long as it passes my local county emissions where the car is located. I'm not 100% clear on the process on what to do after I get the smog test. Do I need to mail that in somewhere? Or do I just need that form when I go to the DMW to renew the registration? 13 years of driving and I've only had to smog one car :rofl:

Who's smog tested their car while living out of state?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
why haven't you registered it in NV yet?

Also does NV have any emissions testing? I know CA is SUPER fucking strict.. like probably does both OBD2 and tail pipe?

Rural counties do not. I'm unfortunately in the Urban part of Washoe County, but they only do an OBD II check, no visuals. So I'm good on that. Wouldn't pass in California that's for sure.

I've moved a ton the last few years though and it's easier have my permanent mailing address for anything important linked to my parent's house. So still rocking a IL driver's license and registration, plus it's actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
So you want to tell Illinois you live in Illinois to register the car, but at the same time say you live outside Illinois and they should accept an emissions test from another state?

I don't think that will go well.

They say it's allowed on their website? :dunno: Just doesn't say what I do after I actually get the test done. It was probably on my renewal notice that I don't have anymore. When I stop moving every couple months, I plan on registering it here in NV. Trust me, it's way cheaper to be a NV resident than it is to be an IL resident.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Rural counties do not. I'm unfortunately in the Urban part of Washoe County, but they only do an OBD II check, no visuals. So I'm good on that. Wouldn't pass in California that's for sure.

I've moved a ton the last few years though and it's easier have my permanent mailing address for anything important linked to my parent's house. So still rocking a IL driver's license and registration, plus it's actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

god damn Washoe county is way bigger than I thought :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list