SuperChevy LT5 write up

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
This is one of my all time favorite engines purely based on what it was when it was. GM, lotus, Mercury marine abortion.... Amazing

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1806-the-original-lt5-and-what-could-have-been/

On the dyno, the one-of-none Gen III LT5 recorded 528 horsepower and 431 lb-ft. of torque, using a test procedure that mimicked the procedure—without accessories—the development team followed during the Gen I/II tests, which added about 10 percent to production-spec engines. Subtract that 10 percent from 528 horsepower and it lands right on the original, 25-year-old 475hp target.
:jg:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Wish this engine were swapped more. Would love to see it in a B-Body. Tim Allen had one in a 1996 Impala SS, but a 1990 Caprice would be sweet. The ZR1’s at the half mile we’re always pulling crazy N/A traps compared with FI cars. Awesome engine.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm hard.

I remember back in the day, a ZR1 coming in and needing a new replacement engine (under warranty obviously). The hoops and red tape that we had to go through then when the engine came from GM, it came with a brinks truck, security detail and the tech that did the R&R had to have a background check, etc...

Ok, I kid, but seriously. These things were like some rare metal or something.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
No, From 1989 - 1994 (IIRC), the ZR1 used an engine designed with help from Lotus and assembled by Mercury Marine (because at that time, GM did not have much experience with all aluminum engines, so they went to someone who did).

It was a 4 cam, 32 valve V8;

lt5-engine.jpg

Much of what GM learned from them (regarding all aluminum construction) is what eventually went into the GenIII engines.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
wow doing a quick search, those year Zr1s are still going for mid 20s lol

deff didnt hold their value like other low volume exotics. :rollpicard:

Or you could buy this spiritual successor to the original LT5.

7.0L DOHC 750hp @ 8000rpm. For the measly price of $32k.

Mercury Racing SB4 DOHC - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop

and the cool thing is I've heard that that engine will fit in the engine bay of a C4 AND bolt up to the trans!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info