Why are crossovers so popular?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
As the title states, can someone explain this to me?

Here's how I see it:

Cons:
Leg room and trunk space really aren't better than most full size cars (compare the lexus RX to the ES for example, or X6 to 535i). Actually rear leg room is frequently worse in the crossover
Price is normally higher than their sedan counterparts
The higher roof line is really the only difference I see, and that has no practical benefit

Pros:
AWD is the norm, not always the case with full size cars
You can stack things in the rear hatch..but even then the depth of the trunk of a full size car normally more than makes up for that
??????

I looked at them for fun when the wife was in the market last year and never understood why they sell so well

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah...my wife needs the space and kid friendliness of a minivan, but has a strong "I'll never drive a minivan" attitude. Third row seats, with an aisle in the second row was key.

We got an Explorer, she loves it. We'll be getting an Expedition next though...

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Because minivans make too much sense but aren't cool. So lets take a sedan raise it up and make it fake awd so that you have even less space than a normal midsize sedan. We have a CX-5.. I wanted to get a minivan and was vetoed. I can move so much more stuff in a minivan.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Seating position, practicality. Warm and fuzzy feeling of "AWD". Many friends GF's/wives have said these exact reasons for purchasing. Trading in FWD cars that I'd consider "good" in snow because they slip and slide too much. Great, now you'll just be going faster in adverse conditions.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Mini-vans are one of the best people and thing movers our there. Its near impossible to beat the internal space that can be created.

I'd have an AMG R63 any day of the week. Thats a Mini-van for my kind of people.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2007-mercedes-benz-r63-amg-first-drive-review

But I prefer the Wagon format. CTS-V Wagon, E63 AMG Wagon, Audi RS6 Avante, Volvo V60 Polestar... gimme them all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info