Anyone running a dash camera?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I have a BlackVue DR650S 2 channel setup in my car. Image quality is good and I can pull videos off the camera using my phone and the dash cams built in wireless network. The DR750S is out now which is supposed to have even better low light images.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’d recommend checking out Mass Drop if you want to buy a nice dash cam. They do group buys and I’m pretty sure i saw the DR750 on there for $275 the other day. [MENTION=12712]fastlax16[/MENTION] and I got our DR650’s through there for around the same price. The only downside is that sometimes shipping takes awhile because the group buy ends and then they place the order for the items. I got lucky and got mine within a week of the group buy closing but some people waited almost a month.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Good thread.

I've been thinking of buying a dash camera for work. As much a I drive for work. I'd hate to loose my CDL or be accused of doing something just because I drive tractor trailers. I've seen so many people drive like complete and utter shit and they give me the finger and such. I've had people call my office and make up stories never a problem since my boss knows I'm not a lying POS. Camera would be nice to prove my innocence.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I’m running the Viofo A119S in both of our cars. Awesome low light and no problems thus far. They are 110 bucks a piece.

Same model I had. Ran great for a while. Shape and clear picture and easy to use.

Dealt with viofo support when it failed for the 2nd time. Now I have to send it to China on my dime for a replacement.

Good camera for the price, but, after not even a year, it is not too reliable.

Hope yours stays going man.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've been using an A118C for a few years, and then upgraded to a newer version. I have one in the wife's car also. It's basic, but I like the 3M mount to the windshield by the mirror, no worries about batteries as it uses a capacitor, and the quality is good enough. I used to have a rear camera, but found it was causing interference with my radio HD reception. Front camera is enough for nearly every situation aside from getting rear ended and the offender running without you being able to see their plate.

It doesn't get great reviews, but I've had no issue, and at $60, it's a good bargain. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6ZT4XE/?tag=tcg21-20

Here's a sample from mine. You may have to change the settings on Youtube to view it in 1080: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89C0jDsVD9o

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Great suggestions. I am pleasantly surprised by the feedback on here.

I feel like asking has anyone spliced the power to the camera into the mirror harness?

How is everyone powering up their cameras?

TIA

My blackvue is hooked up directly to the fuse panel with add a circuits. I have a switch in the glovebox called a power magic pro that lets me use it for parking mode if I’m running into a store or something. It cuts power to the camera when battery voltage dips below a certain level. To use parking mode long term you really need an external battery pack so you don’t kill the cars battery.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I just installed my BlackVue DR750s - 2 Channel. I also installed the Power Magic Power. Super happy with the results. I wish I bought one of these years ago! I'm going to put on in my truck when the weather gets nicer out.

I believe I have a video from the other night going thought the car wash. Let me see if I can post.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
For those of you with the Blackvue and power magic pro, [MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION] [MENTION=5709]rdsnake[/MENTION]

How hard was the install? It is much cheaper than the power magic battery.

Is the dual channel worth the extra coin? I am replacing my Viofo A119S as they want me to ship it back to China and its not worth it. This time, I am going big or going home as they say. I'm currently about to buy the 750S 1-channel and later on getting the magic battery back for park mode. I don't want to hardwire as my durango has a lot of electronics and a few guys I've seen on the forums post, the electronics in the durango are super sensitive and I don't want to screw with anything.

Thanks for the input, and sorry if this is a thread derail.

-Chris

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
It’s not bad really. Mine is hardwired and the wires just go under the dash and up to my glovebox where the PMP switch box is. From there they go up to the a pillar and one wire is tucked in the headliner to the front camera, and the other goes to the back along the headliner for the rear camera. The biggest pain was tucking the wires behind the side curtain airbag.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Been running the G1W-C for coming up on 4 years now. It's showing its age, and have some intermittent issues. I'm also on my 3rd microSD card, but the camera keeps on chugging. It's not the fanciest or most sophisticated, but it just works. There are plenty of videos of G1W series out there if you want to take a look. I opted for the rear view mount, which, IMO is a must. In my previous car, I ran the power off a 12V powersource in the headliner. This time around, I just ran the power cable in the headliner, down the A pillar, under the dash, and into a footwell powerpoint.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
For those of you with the Blackvue and power magic pro, [MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION] [MENTION=5709]rdsnake[/MENTION]

How hard was the install? It is much cheaper than the power magic battery.

Is the dual channel worth the extra coin? I am replacing my Viofo A119S as they want me to ship it back to China and its not worth it. This time, I am going big or going home as they say. I'm currently about to buy the 750S 1-channel and later on getting the magic battery back for park mode. I don't want to hardwire as my durango has a lot of electronics and a few guys I've seen on the forums post, the electronics in the durango are super sensitive and I don't want to screw with anything.

Thanks for the input, and sorry if this is a thread derail.

-Chris

I think the dual cam is worth it. A lot of shit happens behind you as well. That battery is big bucks. The power magic pro was like $30.

Install was super easy but I'm a fairly seasoned mechanic. Just take your time and go slow. I hooked up all the power first without hiding any wires to test the position of cameras before I "officially" mounted them. I believe I stole power from the cig lighter (Key on +) and then the sun roof for battery hot all the time. Every car will be different so just check the owners manual.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I killed a Lexar card made for gopros and dashcams on its first rewrite. Still need to send it in for RMA.

I heard those Lexar cards are junk. Everything I've read points to Transcend or Sandisk high endurance cards are the hot ticket for dash cams. Unfortunately, they only make those in 64GB. I wanted a 128 GB for my dual cam setup to record a full 11 hours on one write. Went with a Samsung EVO card. We'll see how long it last.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I heard those Lexar cards are junk. Everything I've read points to Transcend or Sandisk high endurance cards are the hot ticket for dash cams. Unfortunately, they only make those in 64GB. I wanted a 128 GB for my dual cam setup to record a full 11 hours on one write. Went with a Samsung EVO card. We'll see how long it last.

I was recommended Samsung over Sandisk...so far it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I will see how long my Samsung EVO runs for. If I have any problems I will switch over to a Transcend card. Kinda pissed they don't make a 128 GB card tho.

Interesting enough, when I was reading the directions for my BlackVue they suggested formatting the card very 30 days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info