TCG I need your opinions

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So I hate to sound like ZXwhateverhesdriving but I need some opinions. I have been hell bent on selling my current T/A and getting back into a 3rd gen. For the last 10 years or so I have always had the dream of LS swapping a 91-92 GTA. In highschool I owned a black 92 GTA that I wish I never sold and about 4 years ago I tried to make my dream a reality but failed with a 92 T/A. The T/A I bought just needed too much work, I was buying my first house and I am impulsive so I bought my current 4th gen and sold off the project.

My current car has taken me down more of a grudge/street racing route than I should have and I just have no interest in that at this point plus unless you have thousands to blow on an 8 second car the scene is pretty much dead. I am looking to sell my car this spring and my plan, up until last night, was to buy a clean 91-92 Black 350 GTA for around 7-9K, start with suspension mods and eventually LS swap a 6.0L+ N/A motor (450-470 rwhp) with a 4L60. The car would be a cruiser/showish car with 17" cross lace wheels and look 95% factory and period correct. The reason I am making such a push now is that 1. I'm sick of my current car and 2. 3rd gens are starting to rise in value. If I don't do this now, I probably never will. I could never wrap my head around paying 20k+ for a 3rd gen and I see that happening in the next 5-10 years.

Now comes the wrench that was thrown into my plans. My wife absolutely hates the idea of the 3rd gen. She remembers what a pile of shit my last one was and thinks old cars aren't safe. She hates them so much that she is trying to make a deal with me. If I don't buy the 3rd gen I can keep my current car (or sell it) and we can start putting a little money aside so in 2 and a half years (summer of 2020) when our cars are paid off I can buy a 2017+ ZL1 on the used market. Part of me really wants to build the 3rd gen but I really love everything about a 6th gen ZL1. I stink I still will sell my current car regardless. What would you do?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If it was me, I would sell the TA, sock money away and get a ZL1. But, since its me, I would be making that choice because I'm not super mechanically savvy and I'm more or less done with project cars.

Do you think you could go 2 or so years without a toy?

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
If it was me, I would sell the TA, sock money away and get a ZL1. But, since its me, I would be making that choice because I'm not super mechanically savvy and I'm more or less done with project cars.

Do you think you could go 2 or so years without a toy?

I think I could. I took the car to the track once for street life this year and drove it maybe half a dozen times. I just don't have the drive or desire to continue on the path this car is going down. Fuck I've been wiring up a nitrous gauge for 2 months. I'm sure the nitrous shortage played a part in my lack of fucks. I will be with out a car but no with out a toy. I still have ATV's. Selling the car would free up time and money for that. Also I don't have to sell the car till I buy the ZL1 I just think I would.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
How often will she be in the car?

And that's another big question. She rides in my current car maybe once a year and isn't a fan. Most because it has an ORY and you always wind up smelling like exhaust fumes. She mostly wouldn't ride in the 3rd gen all that much but that doesn't bother me. She said she would ride in and maybe even drive the ZL1 but I'm not sure how much I believe her. She is not into cars at all except for vettes.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
2 years is a long time to think about the next project car, plans may (and most likely will) change before then ruining said plan. You sell your current car and wait and not get that ZL1? That would really suck!

My vote is do the 3rd gen, you already have a good plan on updating it so the whole unsafe or a pile of shit. Plus it should be a lower budget for the 3rd gen vs a 2017 ZL1.

If she doesn't ride in the new car, has no stake in the next car. Sounds like to me she isn't a factor (I know that's not true lol).

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
sell 4th gen, buy dirt bikes.

ATV's are my think. dirtbikes suck.

2 years is a long time to think about the next project car, plans may (and most likely will) change before then ruining said plan. You sell your current car and wait and not get that ZL1? That would really suck!

My vote is do the 3rd gen, you already have a good plan on updating it so the whole unsafe or a pile of shit. Plus it should be a lower budget for the 3rd gen vs a 2017 ZL1.

If she doesn't ride in the new car, has no stake in the next car. Sounds like to me she isn't a factor (I know that's not true lol).

I get that. A break from the car hobby doesn't really bother me to be honest. Also the unsafe thing comes from the age of the car. Crash standards, no airbags, etc.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm in a similar situation. My wife is also putting a hard NO to anything older for safety reasons, and it's understandable. I really really want a 65 Biscayne, but there's a must-have-an-airbag rule in place for whatever replaces my TA (she wasn't amused when I showed her one with a Ridetech airbag suspension). One of our traditions is that every year we take the TA to her parent's lake house, and next year that's not going to be a possibility with a little one in tow. I'm looking for a four-door replacement (SS/M3/CTS-V) because I want to keep sharing this hobby with my family, and after the baby shower and seeing an entire room filled with accessories, I've realized how unrealistic it is that a two-door would work. Other than a Challenger, of course, and that's not a consideration. So I guess I'm saying go new, or newer. I'm glad to concede to the airbag rule because while the TA is driving spectacular now (really, it's soooo good), I love the do-it-all approach of newer cars with suspension, exhaust, engine and transmission adjustability so you can have a different "build" with just the press of a button.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I'm in a similar situation. My wife is also putting a hard NO to anything older for safety reasons, and it's understandable. I really really want a 65 Biscayne, but there's a must-have-an-airbag rule in place for whatever replaces my TA (she wasn't amused when I showed her one with a Ridetech airbag suspension). One of our traditions is that every year we take the TA to her parent's lake house, and next year that's not going to be a possibility with a little one in tow. I'm looking for a four-door replacement (SS/M3/CTS-V) because I want to keep sharing this hobby with my family, and after the baby shower and seeing an entire room filled with accessories, I've realized how unrealistic it is that a two-door would work. Other than a Challenger, of course, and that's not a consideration. So I guess I'm saying go new, or newer. I'm glad to concede to the airbag rule because while the TA is driving spectacular now (really, it's soooo good), I love the do-it-all approach of newer cars with suspension, exhaust, engine and transmission adjustability so you can have a different "build" with just the press of a button.

No airbag rule with a baby doesnt make sense since they're in a car seat. Laura (Brian's wife) is saying the same about Liam going in one of the Grand Prix's or the 3000GT. To me its no different then her elantra since he's a year and a half and in a car seat.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
And that's another big question. She rides in my current car maybe once a year and isn't a fan. Most because it has an ORY and you always wind up smelling like exhaust fumes. She mostly wouldn't ride in the 3rd gen all that much but that doesn't bother me. She said she would ride in and maybe even drive the ZL1 but I'm not sure how much I believe her. She is not into cars at all except for vettes.

forget about these old car projects , get something newer and nicer . My wife is the same way , she doesn't give a shit about cars . She was once in my Mustang before and said no more . Since I got the GTR she was in the car a good amount of times probably around 40 , she even drove it few times

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
forget about these old car projects , get something newer and nicer . My wife is the same way , she doesn't give a shit about cars . She was once in my Mustang before and said no more . Since I got the GTR she was in the car a good amount of times probably around 40 , she even drove it few times

This is what makes it such a hard decision. You just can't beat the cool factor of an older car with a modern drive train.

See Bru, you get it. Lol. No kids yet but what ever car I go with will be transporting kids at some point. This is why I have dismissed the idea of a Corvette even though the wife wants one. I want a car I can drive to family functions like you.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is what makes it such a hard decision. You just can't beat the cool factor of an older car with a modern drive train.

See Bru, you get it. Lol. No kids yet but what ever car I go with will be transporting kids at some point. This is why I have dismissed the idea of a Corvette even though the wife wants one. I want a car I can drive to family functions like you.

what's tough about that is more often than not (read: typically) there are plenty of issues and drivability still won't match modern counterparts.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think the whole "old car" with a "new motor" crammed into it fad has gotten stale. Nothing about it is really unique anymore. And unless you're really sinking a to of money into the interior, its not going to be a comfortable as a newer car....so you're basically spending what could be a ton of money to make an old turd a new car.

If you're building a cruiser, you'll want something that is comfortable....seems to be, especially with a third gen, thats gonna require new seats, a modern dash that isnt from 1925, maybe sound deadening? Lots of other stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info