LED headlights in projectors

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ive been trying to do some research on HID vs LED headlights. Of course HIDs will be brighter, but the LEDs will be more plug and play along with being brighter than halogens, along with being a bit cheaper than a canbus HID kit.

However, I keep reading that LEDs are not optimal for projectors since they technically are not a bulb lighting in a 360 degree area like a halogen or a HID bulb. This then scatters the light and does not create any hotspots and actually can hurt night time visibility over halogens or HIDs.

I was curious if anyone else had done LEDs in projectors to confirm, or if there are newer lights on the market that combat this issue.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'll never buy another HID kit just because of how fragile they are.

I would disagree that LED is not as bright as HID in all cases.

The patterning issues are less of an issue if you find a bulb that has a diode on its tip, but some are still concerned.

I've put LEDs in after market projector housings years ago, neither being of terribly good quality unfortunately. I would LOVE to put a pair of LED bulbs in my truck for the low beams, but the construction of the sealed housing prevents anything with a fan or ballast assembly from being installed if you still want to seal the headlight again.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'll never buy another HID kit just because of how fragile they are.

+1
I had a pair of HID lights before and with the high amperage draw over time it melted my entire wire harness together. Took forever to cut apart all the melted wire and solder them all back together.
I got a LED light for my motorcycle. I LOVE it. Super bright (no projector) however I will say other people probably hate me due to how bright it is. Plug n play, no relay or ballast or any other shit to wire in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info