Cost of buying a used car

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Some people here buy cars like monthly so I figure someone should know the exact number

My friend is going to buy a used car off craigslist. Most likely private sale for about $2000. What would the dmv cost for everything at the end of the day? Lives in Chicago/cook county.

Google shows me
- title is $95
- plates are $101
- city sticker is $87

What about taxes? Last time they try to stick me with some crazy $200 sales tax on my motorcycle.

Any other fees? My friend is a little tight on cash and their car just broke. So they need to plan very much ahead.

Car insurance shouldn’t change much.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I just knew, I went to dmv and paid what they told me and then I got letter a few months later saying to pay more.

I don’t 100% recall but I received something dumb from cook county and never paid for it. Cause I paid they $15 or $25 and they told me it should have been like $175.

Google showed me something like this.

df51b3f47ea659ea49e193d2a5b6ccca.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If I recall, cook county now has their own used car tax.

Yessir, Cook County straight destroys people on older model used cars now.

I just did a title and plate transfer and it was $143 in total for Dupage.

Would have been another $60 or 70 if I didn't already have plates for it.

Cook County with a city sticker would be double that or more.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yessir, Cook County straight destroys people on older model used cars now.

I just did a title and plate transfer and it was $143 in total for Dupage.

Would have been another $60 or 70 if I didn't already have plates for it.

Cook County with a city sticker would be double that or more.
:fu:

I don’t know if having emissions is better or worse. Costs $25 every other year (for the gassers) but anything over 7 years old is $86 for plates and no city stickers.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I just knew, I went to dmv and paid what they told me and then I got letter a few months later saying to pay more.

don’t 100% recall but I received something dumb from cook county and never paid for it. Cause I paid they $15 or $25 and they told me it should have been like $175.

Google showed me something like this.

df51b3f47ea659ea49e193d2a5b6ccca.jpg

I didn’t pay mine and they eventually sent it to collections. FYI. Fuck dealing with that, I️ paid right away then.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I didn’t pay mine and they eventually sent it to collections. FYI. Fuck dealing with that, I️ paid right away then.

They didn’t find me yet. But I guess it’s coming. I check my credit enough and it’s not on there. Could they boot the car?

But back on topic.... so I’m going to assume $175 sales tax for being in crook.

So after all said and done, nearly $500 added to buy a used car in crook and $300 elsewhere. Gotta find dupage/ lake county addresses

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
They didn’t find me yet. But I guess it’s coming. I check my credit enough and it’s not on there. Could they boot the car?

So after all said and done, nearly $500 added to buy a used car in crook and $300 elsewhere. Gotta find dupage/ lake county addresses

~$220 outside of Cook for title transfer and new tags assuming private sale of an older car, and no city sticker. Not $300, but just when we are talking dollars here. Unfortunately those extra Fees follow where the car would be registered, not where its purchased when it comes to Crook County.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Unfortunately it’s pay up or move out... Bitchin about it gets you nowhere... thanks crook county...

:trump:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info