Investment Car

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I've been considering some sort of investment car and trying to figure out what has peaked, what isn't moving and what will continue to grow. I currently have a 1987 Buick Grand National and am looking for something foreign. Mainly between the mid to late 80s all the way until the mid 90s.

I'm all over the place right now and have considered the NSX, Supra, GTR R32 and an e30 M3.

I was looking at Panteras and 328s years ago but they're now getting way up there is price (both were in the $35k range less than 5 years ago). I still really like the Panteras but I'm looking to spend that much on a nice example, unless it is a definite investment opportunity.

I've also consider cars that are a little less popular like the mid-90s 300ZX TT, Mitsubishi 3000GT, etc.

What am I missing or what else is out there that people think will take off in value in the next 5-10 years?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
S2000 CR is getting pretty crazy. Low mile versions are going for more than they were brand new.

I feel as the R32's and all awesome cars are able to be brought here because of the 25yr old deal are going to lose value as they won't be as rare anymore. R32's were very rare to see here, and now it seems as if they're everywhere now.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I agree with the R32 comment but love the idea of right hand drive.

I didn't even know what the CR stood for to be honest. Just quickly looking them up on eBay, I found one for $41k. I love the S2000s but I'm not a tiny guy (6' - 225lbs ish) and not sure I'll fit comfortably in one.

I know a Supra is big enough but they're approaching the max I'd want to spend. It's been a long time since I sat in a NSX to know how they fit. I've always loved the 300zx and even considered getting a Fairlady imported in. I dunno, sucks because I want to drive whatever I buy somewhat and getting something really nice will make it sit like my GN that I drove less than 1000 miles this year.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
That is the thing I'm unsure of the most. I have the funds for something nicer in the $75k range, ideally would like to spend no more than $30k, but also want something I'm not afraid to drive once in a while. For the right car and deal I'd go higher if there was a such thing as a guaranteed investment. I really am all over the place on this, sorry.

I've always loved the 300ZX and they're still fairly cheap compared to some of the other things I looked at.

Like this car here - it isn't that expensive, has low miles, a clear title with "minor" issues that I'd have to look into, but overall it's a driver. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Nissa...ash=item1a391d7260:g:6E8AAOSw09xZ~Ibs&vxp=mtr

Go on the high end side and you have something like this that just ended.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Acura...8beWFK%2BdiW%2FueI3Vk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Or these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Sup...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Toyot...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Kind of touching on my post above, but all of the JDM cars that are super rare here and hard to find, over the years might lose a lot of value as people will be able to just import them from Japan. I want to say that it will "flood" the market, but not like FLOOD the market, there will just be more and more of them thus making them not so hard to find anymore. R32's are seen a lot right now, just think 6-7 years from now when people can import the R34's, JDM ITRs, etc. A USDM ITR will be a blip on the radar now that there are much better ITRs available, they're RHD and have all of those goofy JDM features that all of the fuck boi JDM people want.

I'm just spitting out potential scenarios, I could be wrong and probably will be, but it's something to think about when investing in a car. Eh?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So the 300zx imo will take far longer to start coming up in price. They made and sold the most of them compared to FD rx-7 and Supra's by a large margin. I bought mine for like 9k in 2008 and I could maybe sell it for 13-16k now if it was all fixed up. It is higher mileage but one of the cleaner examples I have seen around the midwest.

The one you linked to is pretty clean. No engine bay shots so I can't judge that. These have me say oh no. AMS Canada are garbage china parts. Those would be switched out for SPL and KW coilovers immediately. I feel like that is a 12-14k car though, not 16k.

-AMS 20 way Adjustable Coilovers
-AMS front Tension Rods
-AMS Rear Control Arms
-AMS Front Control Arms

Only way those will ever become a true collectors car is far further into the future if you have a low mileage version.

Datsun 240z and 280z's, fairlday roadster, 510's are all going steadily up in price.

NSX I feel like the boat has already sailed there but if you can find a deal on a clean low miles one you have a shot.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Unfortunately no :/. The Chevy SS is a much better version of what that car should have been. Making it basically worthless.

Taking out the fact that it’s a Malibu with a V8

It's the last of the true Pontiacs which has points, Pontiac is a dead brand which loses points. That said, an SS would be put equally in that camp. The other reason I said that is they have consistently held their value well which would lead me to believe they will be desirable at a later date after the prices dip. I could see the SS falling into the same category. It wasn't a car that was insanely popular when made but people who are looking for one know what they want and will seek it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info