Double Din CarPlay Headunit Recommendations?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Looking to get a double din CarPlay Headunit for the Burb.

Maybe I'm unclear on this; but I sure would like it to be cordless (from what I've read most CarPlay headunits still require the phone to be plugged into the head unit). Or maybe I'm off base, and they are all cordless now?

Also want support for XM and a Backup Camera (And again on the wireless, if there's any way to do a Wireless Backup Camera that would be freaking fantastic).

Lastly, needs support for a rear mounted auxiliary input.

Would like to be in that $400 or less neighborhood.

Or, even better, does anyone have one for sale (I wouldn't care if its all corded, or an older version of carplay or whatever for the right price).

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Looking to get a double din CarPlay Headunit for the Burb.

Maybe I'm unclear on this; but I sure would like it to be cordless (from what I've read most CarPlay headunits still require the phone to be plugged into the head unit). Or maybe I'm off base, and they are all cordless now?

Also want support for XM and a Backup Camera (And again on the wireless, if there's any way to do a Wireless Backup Camera that would be freaking fantastic).

Would like to be in that $400 or less neighborhood.

Or, even better, does anyone have one for sale (I wouldn't care if its all corded, or an older version of carplay or whatever for the right price).

CarPlay requires USB connection due to the GUI console streaming.

You can still bluetooth and such for audio and data streaming. But for the CarPlay display mirroring you need the USB connection.

I have no personal experience with any of the CarPlay units. But I have looked a few times for the GTA, just never bit. GTA is DIN 1.5, which is a PITA form factor. And I'd have to hack the center pod up to fit a Double Din in there. Plus, radio is way down on the list of things it needs.

I do know when I was looking I had a few requirements.

CarPlay, Bluetooth, USB Charging, HD Audio, Pre-amp connections, and GPS. Though GPS has fallen down the list as CarPlay can display the Maps app. Though I don't think CarPlay will display Google Maps due to licensing crap or some such between Google and Apple.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I had a first or second generation App Radio in the Explorer, and it was surprisingly responsive for being what... 6 years old? Installed a $10 EBAY special backup camera, and it served its purpose well, but the mirroring never worked, and even playing audio from my phone still required it to be wired. However I only paid $50 for the head unit at the time, so I can't complain.

The Burb is a HUGE bitch compared to the explorer, and I'd sure like to get the same features in this truck sooner than later.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Car play is so much better than the app radio

I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Car Play, my App Radio was terrible by modern standards, but the headunit itself was at least really quite good (responded quickly, was reasonably intuitive, lots of features, and well... was $50 second hand).

I assumed that in the past 6 years that the Car Play Pioneers would be exceptional when I pulled the trigger last night. Fingers Crossed!

From Reading the 4200 has (Over the 1330 that I just bought)
Andriod Auto
a .8 bigger screen (Bezel to bezel at 7 inches compared to 6.2)
HD Radio ready
And seems to be $200-400 more expensive depending upon where you buy it.

So yea, no brainer there, are people that hard over those features? The ones that do both Android AND car play seem to be WAY up there in price.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The larger screen, more attractive look, and compatibility were top selling points for me. Especially because I am not sold on my iPhone. I can see myself switching in the future. If I was looking for the most cost effective CarPlay device, I wouldn't have bought it though.

What would have been a more cost effective option? Sony offers one cheaper, but I feel like Sony stuff hasn’t been exceptionally quality in some time.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
What would have been a more cost effective option? Sony offers one cheaper, but I feel like Sony stuff hasn’t been exceptionally quality in some time.

The one you picked would have been the best cost effective option IMO. Pioneer is good shit. I meant the 4200nex isn't the most cost effective option.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The one you picked would have been the best cost effective option IMO. Pioneer is good shit. I meant the 4200nex isn't the most cost effective option.

Ok, I was confused for a minute, I stared at the comparison ON pioneers website for like 10 minutes going "Sooooooo, Why wouldn't I just buy the 1330......?"

Then I went to Best Buys website, where there was a like $300 price difference and did their comparison and went "Well.... Yea, so this seems obvious"

I liked my old App Radio's 7 inch screen without any real bezel, but that's a BIG $$$ difference for just the slightest bit more real estate as my only real benefit given that I don't use Android or care about HD Radio.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info