Walnut Shell Service, anybody know of a place?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Currently 100K+ miles on a Ford GTDI motor. Has the Ford Extended Service plan, but Ford has no options for cleaning the heads/runners. Dropped a scope in last night, and the valve stems are caked, the runners are caked, and at least one of the valves had significant buildup on the top surface. Snapped pictures, but they didn't turn out great, much easier to see when I was watching the scope. Car normally runs good/strong when warm, but in colder weather and on cold starts there is surging. Plugs were replaced <5K miles ago with Motorcraft's.

Now, I've heard horror stories about the chemical process, and would rather not blow up a cat(s). I know that BMW and VW have processes for the walnut shell blasting, and this seems to be the consensus best solution outside of new heads.

Now the question is, are there other places on the north side, outside of VW and BMW dealers that provide this service?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Just talked to A&L in Palatine, as some of the BMW guys, I've read, have used them with success. However, they won't service Ford's as they don't have the port connection tool.

The other couple shops I've read in the area have closed, but I'm assuming they were using similar attachments limited to BMW's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Kensington
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list