Tint question

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So my wife and I got a new car, and I want to get tint on the windows in the next few weeks before we take it on a road trip. Ive been bouncing around in my head the percentage though.

So I will mainly be driving this car. I work at night. Its night when I drive to work, and depending on the season, still dark when I go home. (Leave at 7AM if I leave on time) Its a white car with lighter interior.

Part of me wants to get 35% and call it a day. Legal in IL so I wont get fucked with, and if I do I have nothing to worry about. Plus with all the night driving, should be no issues with seeing out of the car.

Part of me wants 20%. One of my buddys at work has 35% on his gray car with darker interior and I can still see inside his car even at night. I know the whole reason is to make everything darker for yourself during the day, and keep heat out, and UV rays, but I still want the bit of privacy and dark windows on a white car do look cool as hell. Im just worried about driving at night with 20%, along with the legality of it. Im usually just Addison to Vernon Hills, but my wife and I do go out on the weekends and will drive the car around then as well.

Another factor is the legality in other states. I googled it a bit last night and some states will just check your states laws, and others will tell you to pound sand it is illegal in their state. So I dont want to get screwed while on our trip.

In the past I have had 20% and 5%, but they were only on the back windows. Ive never had the front windows tinted, so I cannot really gauge. Just thought I would ask for opinions since Im sure some of you guys have had different types.

Thanks in advance.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I have 35% Llumar CTX all around on my white GTI. I like it a lot and it is dark enough at night that you can't see in. It helps with the sun but you can still see in when it's light out. If I were going to do it again I'd get 20% probably. If you're worried about cops having a reason to pull you over for something stupid I think they still would at night with 35% anyways.

I don't know how other areas are as far enforcing vehicle code but I've also been driving around with no front plate since May and go right past a police department on my commute every day and haven't been stopped for that either.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I would go 20% on a white car with light interior and as Grabber said, looks so much better.
I think now a days most suburbs just write it up as a village citation and its like a $50 fine.
Now if you guys are ever in the city during the day, I would definitely park in a paid parking lot/garage. Those meter maid bitches will write you like a $250 ticket for tint.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I say 20%..... Ive noticed as Ive gotten older, I don't get pulled over for little shit like tint anymore, likely because im not driving like an ass anymore, so I wouldnt stress over going to 20%.

Once the Cobra is back on the road im going as dark as possible on everything but the windshield. Fuck 'em. :bowrofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You get 20% tint installed yet [MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION]?

LOL. Gonna be a couple weeks before I get anything. Ill probably use the shop in Glendale Heights that I see people mentioning on here.

20% is perfect IMO. I agree 35% will be too light. Its a $50 fix it ticket, but the cop can write a state ticket which is $250? Just stay out of Schaumburg, they scope out tint violations hard. The maneuvers some cops pull to go after tints is epic though :rofl:

My wife works in Schaumburg and she will be taking the car once and awhile. Plus since we are close we do go to Woodfield and shopping in the area once and awhile.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
LOL. Gonna be a couple weeks before I get anything. Ill probably use the shop in Glendale Heights that I see people mentioning on here.

My wife works in Schaumburg and she will be taking the car once and awhile. Plus since we are close we do go to Woodfield and shopping in the area once and awhile.
[MENTION=12542]Chicago Auto Pros[/MENTION]

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, all mine are around 35% too.

Even if you went 20%, I wouldn't sweat being pulled over unless you're in a bad area or driving like an ass. I also don't give two shits about what another state says when I pass through it. My vehicle is registered in Illinois, not your state, go fuck off!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Would it be silly to go to 30 or 25? Ive never even seen anyone do that. :rofl: Usually its either 35 or 20 or 5.

I know a guy I used to work with actually did 35% on the side windows and 20% on the back window since, and I have no idea so dont come after me, he said they cant test the rear window. Just the sides. :dunno:

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
The police can only test the windows that roll down, since the meter goes on both sides of the glass. So you can get away with tint that is darker on the back hatch/trunk. It looks a bit weird to have the rear side windows darker than the front, though. I'd keep the sides the same %. I've been told by a cop that there is supposed to be a 5% variance allowed with the test. So if the cop's meter says you are at 30%, then you should be good to go. Visually there won't be much difference between 30/35 to matter.

I have 35% on my personal car (Black interior) and on really sunny days it's pretty light. You can see straight into the car with little effort.

Also the lighter your interior is the lighter the film will look, so if you're a fan of the darker look I say go 15% / 20%. It's not bad at all driving at night and you're unlikely to get pulled over for it these days unless your car is high profile or drive like an ass.

Let us know if you need any pricing or help!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I have 35% on my personal car (Black interior) and on really sunny days it's pretty light. You can see straight into the car with little effort.

Also the lighter your interior is the lighter the film will look, so if you're a fan of the darker look I say go 15% / 20%. It's not bad at all driving at night and you're unlikely to get pulled over for it these days unless your car is high profile or drive like an ass.

Let us know if you need any pricing or help!

Its a Hyundai Sonata and I am attempting to keep it above 30 MPG. :rofl: Driving like an ass is furthest from my mind. A couple romps here and there, but its no speedster.

For sure. Ill send a message closer when we are ready.

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
My GF has had 20% for about a year now with no pullovers.
20108257_10155269206235901_3492791754678992512_n.jpg

I've had 5% all around since I got my grand prix in 2010 and while I've been pulled over dozens of times, the tint was only brought up twice. "It came like this from the dealership" was enough for the cop to skip that and move on to the next violation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info