What's the scam?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This popped up on Craigslist the other day: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-bmw-640i-obo/6277523940.html

I like deals and I've been looking for a car to rent out so I called the dude and asked if I could look at it. The price is suspiciously low by about $6,000 but I've learned better than to write ads off because they're cheap.

I call and I get a generic voicemail for textnow.com. So the guy is using an internet phone. Suspicious but not overly so because I'm calling him on a Google Voice phone number. So I know why people do it. At that point I'm thinking they're just harvesting phone numbers but about an hour later I get a call. Dude says he's at work and can meet at 6:30. He gives me a place to meet and we're good to go.

So I leave from my house to make the hour and a half 10 mile drive (LA, amirate?) and I'm still skeptical but then I get a phone call from him and he changes the meeting place. So now I'm thinking, ok maybe this is real. I keep driving and then I get a text from him telling me the car is dirty because he didn't have time to clean it and just to keep that in mind when I look at it. So at that point I'm stoked because who's going to send a message like that if the car doesn't exist? That's a message you send someone when you realize you're showing them a dirty car and you want to set expectations.

So now I'm expecting to flat out buy it on the spot. The last message I get from him he tells me he'll see me soon. I arrive on time and he's not there. Shoot him a message; no response. Wait 15 minutes, send another message, no response. That was the last time I heard from him.

So at this point I'm assuming it's some sort of scam but what? Is the scam to get a stranger to drive an hour and a half? I figure if he's going to scam me he would have not just disappeared and if he's just collecting phone numbers he'd simply collect them and ignore the people calling altogether. The thing that really bothers me is that I don't know what the end game is here. What's the end game!?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I see a lot of cars on CL that are way under priced (I.E. Integra Type R for $5500) and there's A SINGLE picture. Most of the time you can tell by just the picture it's not from around here, but some are semi-believable. There's no phone, just an email. WTF is that scam?? To get people to send you their email address? I DON'T GET THE END GAME. Why? What the hell is the point???

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Were you supposed to bring cash or did they ever say cash only?
Just a thought maybe they wanted to rob you and got cold feet, hence why they changed the meeting spot. Maybe the first spot was too busy and 2nd spot got busy as you were about to meet???
Like I said just a thought

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Were you supposed to bring cash or did they ever say cash only?
Just a thought maybe they wanted to rob you and got cold feet, hence why they changed the meeting spot. Maybe the first spot was too busy and 2nd spot got busy as you were about to meet???
Like I said just a thought

This happens all the time. I sure hope Mike was not carrying 24k cash on him. LOL

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I've had plenty of similar stories trying to sell shit but up until like 10-15 minutes before they're supposed to show up I stop getting texts from them. Then just never hear anything again. It's always for shit under like a grand though. Never for a vehicle.

I'm going with a potential robbery. What kind of areas did they want to meet?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mike, you saw the red flags. You're smart and noticed them.

The guy not showing up means he found a more advantageous use for his time. Don't know why but he felt he could scam more somewhere else. Didn't bother to answer because he's a dick. You either will never hear from him again or he will decide to continue when he has time and will be all apologetic about some semi-plausible story.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So the dude wasn't trying to rob me. That much I know. There was never any discussion of money or me buying the car on the spot. And we were meeting at 6:30, so after banking hours. He also had us meeting in a very public place.

So I wrote it off but then yesterday morning I get another text apologizing for him going ghost and that it was because his phone cracked on the way and he couldn't get ahold of me. Obviously that's bullshit because he could have just continued to the meeting location with the expectation that the person meeting him would look for that car. That and the fact that he's calling from an internet phone. He could have called me from anyone's cell phone.

Anyhow, he apologies and asks if I want to meet again. I say sure but he needs to show up. He insists he will and that he's really sorry about that. We agree to meet at 1:00. I text him about 15 minutes into the drive and he doesn't answer. So I call him. No response. No, fucking way. Long story short: dude did it again. Just fucking disappeared.

So what fucking scam is that? Is it the old "inconvenience a stranger by having them drive an hour in heavy traffic" grift? After I realized he was doing it all over again I shot him a text message saying that I wasn't even mad but could he, you know... explain how he was benefiting from this nonsense. No answer of course. At this point I'm more curious than mad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info