Son has Fiesta totaled - Next car suggestions?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Guys, my son, Eric, was driving his leased 2014 Fiesta to work a few days ago and an idiot in the right lane decided he wanted to switch lanes. He didn't look and swerved his Toyota Tundra into my son's car. Hit the Fiesta so hard he knocked it into the curb and blew the tire. Entire passenger side is damaged as well as suspension/steering and engine cradle.

Geico totaled the car. Luckily, my son has gap insurance so he should be OK money wise. The other driver also has Geico and admitted it's his fault. Neither driver was hurt in the crash.

Eric wants to buy a 2-3 y.o. sports car that won't kill him on insurance costs. What would you guys recommend? Maximum price limit is probably around $20K. What's available in a manual trans that would be reliable, a fun car to drive, gets decent mileage and can be bought a couple years old for under $20K? Thanks.

I'd suggest a Miata to him but he has friends who mooch rides so a 2 seater probably won't work.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I am confused because you said sports car. A Honda civic is not even remotely a sports car.

Do you want him to get a muscle car, sports car, family sedan, econobox, suv, etc...?

"What's available in a manual trans that would be reliable, a fun car to drive, gets decent mileage and can be bought a couple years old for under $20K?"

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
This was discussed in another thread....corvette

Ha Ha! If he buys a Corvette, I'm driving that car and he can drive my Caddy.

I'm trying to find him something that will be fun to drive, reasonable to insure and won't take his entire paycheck to make the loan payments.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Fiesta ST is in that price range, so are Focus STs. The Ford ST line is considered a 4 door hatchback, so is cheaper on insurance.

There are also the previously mentioned Mustangs and Chargers.

Set of snow tires, winter is no problem at all. Need to move stuff? Has 4 doors and the seats fold down.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Fiesta ST and Focus ST would both be fun options. Fiesta will be a little cheaper to buy, insure, and operate (cheaper tires, better mpg). The Focus ST can be a bit of a handful with the torque steer for an inexperienced driver. The Fiesta ST would be a bit easier for a younger driver, in my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info