I8 or R8 and why?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Interesting comparison. I think I'd pick the R8. The I8 is definitely the hot shit right now, but I think the early 4.2 R8's are destined to become future classics. Plus there's so much tech in the I8 the thought of owning one out of warranty makes me wanna jump off a bridge. Not that I think the Audi would fare much better. But Id rather take my chances w/ the Audi. The biggest piece of tech
you have to fail on that car is the 6 disc cd changer :rofl:

I did have an I8 follow me into an Albertsons parking lot a couple weeks ago and I will say they are very eye catching cars. Also the thought of that owner taking his I8 to go grocery shopping made me chuckle a little. But its still a very cool car.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ive never driven an I8, but the numbers appear to not even be remotely close, what makes it drive like a Prius?

That statement meant to convey it's more economy-minded than performance-minded. The last one I drove (2015) had skinny, low-rolling resistance tires, and its 3,500 pounds drove like it's 4,000 pounds. The 350-whatever combined horsepower feels good until 60 mph and then it falls off hard. The i8 is a fascinating piece of technology even though it's not much of a driver's car. Answering what I would choose, however, it's an easy 4.2 R8. Also because you don't look like a doofus getting in and out of the R8 like you do with the carbon-fiber-bathtub-cabin and upward-swinging doors of the i8.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Interesting. I didn't think it would be as mixed as it is. I've been more seriously looking at grabbing a fun car to rent out that could theoretically pay for itself. The math works on a 2009ish R8 with the 4.2 and from what I read, the 4.2 is the engine to get in the older cars because it's less money to maintain and the car is better balanced.

I would go for the 4.2 over the V10 because of parts scarcity, cost of maintenance and the fact that engine choice has absolutely zero affect on what I can rent it for.

I was scoping out the i8 because they're newer, likely have lower miles all things equal and are perceived as being exotic. They are really common out here though. I might see an i8 a day in LA whereas I see an R8 maybe once a month.

The R8 seems to have a good mix of scarcity and attainability. It's cheap enough and regular old Audi enough that it shouldn't break the bank to own but also considered to be a straight up exotic car. I'm leaning heavily towards the R8.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
R8 but it needs to have V10 , R8 with V8 is slow

Not from what I see. The V8 looks to be low 4's to 60 and mid - high 12's in the quarter mile whereas the V10 is mid-3's to 60 and high 11's in the quarter. There's a difference no doubt but I wouldn't call the V8 a slouch by any respect.

Also, you have to keep in mind that while this might matter to you, it won't matter to anyone renting the car. They're looking to drive an R8, not an R8 V10 specifically and most won't even know there's two different versions of the car. The guys renting Lamborghinis at the exotic car rental places out here aren't advertising motors because they know people don't care. They just want to drive a Lamborghini.

Also, it needs to make financial sense. For me, if it can pay for itself and I have access to it when it's not being rented, that's all that matters. And I personally don't care at all about the difference in power. As it is, my daily driver would rock them both. So if it were just about straight line speed I wouldn't bother with either.

do the rental places help you figure out which is in more demand? and how abusively people drive these things?

Nah. You basically just have to research what's out there, how many trips a car has relative to it's asking price, look at it's schedule, etc. That's why I'm really conservative with my math because there's a ton of unknowns.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info