Delta Sonic scratched my wheel.... how would you handle this?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
2 weeks ago I brought my Audi to delta sonic to get the car washed.. The person who guides you on the rollers misaligned me (slightly) and the car hit the side railing (LEFT FRONT) .. I mean REALLY HIT it. the whole car tilted side to side, like a boat about to capsize, and it didnt sound like rubber hitting the rail... it was clear as day.. the rim hit the railing.

Went through the wash, drove one parking lot over, got out and sure as shit.. clean crisp scrape on my wheel. I immediately drove back and talked to the manager on duty. He looked at the wheel and made me fill out a damage claim form.. they dont handle it in house it has to be sent to corporate.

Now, keep in mind, I was a service advisor for 7 years.... you can tell when damage is fresh and when it isnt.... ESPECIALLY on wheels.

The scrape was BRIGHT shiny silver... for anyone that knows, when its new it looks like that... when its old, the shiny part turns dull/brown/black depending on the situation.

Fast forward to today. I get a notice in the mail from Delta Sonic basically stating that the only way a wheel can get scratched is if the railing is bent. They said the manager assured that it was not bent so it is physically impossible for a wheel to be damaged. They sent me two coupons for interior detailing....

What would you do? I know for a fact 100% that my wheel was damaged there... THEY HAVE THE BURDEN OF PROOF to show me it was damaged prior... that is why they have cameras everywhere.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Call them n explain what happened and you knew it at the moment and the manager acknowledged it happened then and there

The car wash manager didn't agree it happened there. He just has to take pics and submit them to corporate and they do the rest from there. He only admitted it looked fresh.

I just stopped by their store. The general manager isn't there but all video recordings are saved. So we can go back to that date and time and see if it was damaged prior to going through.

They have the cameras for a reason ?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
No :rofl:

I stopped when he was guiding me on. I made a gesture through the windshield as if I was pointing left then right. He shook his head and kept telling me to go straight.

They are there to 100% guide you on the track. If they wanted you to do it yourself there would be a mirror above the carwash aiming down so you can see your wheels

The person is specifically standing there to guide the car. That's his job :rofl:.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I had a issue with Delta Sonic back when I was like 18. The wash scratched my car. I filed a complaint and a few weeks later I got a letter from corp saying the washes are designed to not scratch cars bla bla bla. They gave me some coupons and that was it. You could make a insurance claim and have your company go after them. But im sure your deductible is more then wheel refinishing. Your not going to see a scratch on a security camera I wouldn't even waste your time.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I stopped when he was guiding me on. I made a gesture through the windshield as if I was pointing left then right. He shook his head and kept telling me to go straight.

They are there to 100% guide you on the track. If they wanted you to do it yourself there would be a mirror above the carwash aiming down so you can see your wheels

The person is specifically standing there to guide the car. That's his job :rofl:.

You should also know where your wheels are relative to the track. If you curbed your wheel pulling into a parking spot, you'd chalk it up as a $100 lesson. Just take your car to Crown Customs and have them repair your wheel and save yourself the aggravation.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

I have never taken the RS through an automated car wash, and never will. I will let it sit dirty and filthy before I trust an automatic. Closest I'll ever get is a DIY with a power washer. I'll spray it down to remove loose dirt and such.

Does something like this fall under Comprehensive or Collision with your policy? If Comp, I would claim it, and let your insurance go after Delta Sonic. They'll get further than you will because insurance has a ton more leverage.

Comprehensive is usually really cheap with $0 deductibles. Probably less than $15 over 6 months.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I had a similar thing happen to me where I drove the TA through one with my antenna up and it broke. Now they say you should retract them and I didn't know that at the time. Granted there was no employee guiding me in to cause the problem, but I just ultimately fixed it and moved on. It was more my fault I felt and I know that car washes try to take minimal liability with automated tunnel systems so I didn't think it was worth the fight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info