Tint Darkness

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I've never been pulled over just for tint, there's always been another infraction at the time. Only exception was when a Trooper "inquired" about my tint at a gas station but he was a car guy and just wanted to see what else I did to my car, ended up talking cars with the guy for about 20 minutes.

Tinted windshield on the other hand will get you rolled quite a bit. I know a lot of cops that will pull people over solely for that and then have you remove ALL illegal tint, sometimes right on the spot.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I just got pulled over for the first time in many many many years for window tint and not front plate. The cop put a tint meter on my window and said this is illegal and gave me a hard time and gave me a written notice for no front plate and illegal tint. I have 5 days to take care of this which I'm not.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
So if you don't take care of it do you just pay a fine? [MENTION=4923]The Beast[/MENTION]

No it was just a 5 day warning and if they get me after that I'm sure I'll get a ticket. It was just a muggy day with no sun out Wednesday and it was like 8:30 am I'm sure the 20% looked darker. I'm not touching the car I don't drive it enough

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I had 25% all around on my GTI a few years ago, and Warrenville cops did u turns in the middle of Rt 59 to pull me over specifically for the tint. Not speeding, just driving normally. The GTI was a white car with a black interior and no sunroof, and probably looked darker than most other combinations, so that was likely a contributing factor. I've gone 35% on the sides and 25% on the back glass since then on my other cars and have had no issues going past the same cops the last couple of years.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I had 25% all around on my GTI a few years ago, and Warrenville cops did u turns in the middle of Rt 59 to pull me over specifically for the tint. Not speeding, just driving normally. The GTI was a white car with a black interior and no sunroof, and probably looked darker than most other combinations, so that was likely a contributing factor. I've gone 35% on the sides and 25% on the back glass since then on my other cars and have had no issues going past the same cops the last couple of years.

Must be some discrimination against GTIs. I will agree though, something about those cars make the tint look way darker than most cars. Especially when you have a light exterior color

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL

Had the same thing with warrenville doing a u turn on 59 to pull me over for tints on my mustang. Guy almost collided with on coming traffic just to write me a ticket for tints.

This was years ago when the law was no side window tint, this was my mustang with limo tint on the back window and 35% on the side glass.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I had 20% on my old black G35. Of the 10 years I had it, I was stopped 8 times for tints. Each one was a city ordinance violation, a stupid $50 fix it ticket. It was about 1/year which I called a tint subscription fee. All of them were in Schaumburg, where I live and work.... it all comes down to the city and how many sales they are willing to make.

I too got a kick out of some intense, split second moves these cops would pull to catch me..... for tinted windows...... :bowrofl:. Instant U-turn in traffic and 80+ in a 35 to catch me like I was an escaped convict that just held up a bank.

Despite all that, 20% imo is still the best. I just got a new car that came pre-tinted with 35% and I think its too light.... but its legal haha.

pbdevastator

Regular
Aug 3, 2010
I had 20% on my old black G35. Of the 10 years I had it, I was stopped 8 times for tints. Each one was a city ordinance violation, a stupid $50 fix it ticket. It was about 1/year which I called a tint subscription fee. All of them were in Schaumburg, where I live and work.... it all comes down to the city and how many sales they are willing to make.

I too got a kick out of some intense, split second moves these cops would pull to catch me..... for tinted windows...... :bowrofl:. Instant U-turn in traffic and 80+ in a 35 to catch me like I was an escaped convict that just held up a bank.

Despite all that, 20% imo is still the best. I just got a new car that came pre-tinted with 35% and I think its too light.... but its legal haha.

Yea i went with 35% cause its legal. But I agree its too light and want to do 20%. Thats why I made this thread. Thanks to all who have replied. Think 20% is the way I will go as they aren't as strict with tint laws like 10 years ago.

Back in the no side window days when I had 5% limo tint, and 50% driver/pass window, Cop was in front of me. He actually changed lanes, hit brakes just to get behind me, held up traffic in the process of braking and think he almost got rear ended. It was raining too. Didn't put lights on until he was behind me, very safe thing to do lol. 3 tickets that pull over too, none moving violations.

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
I've had 5% for 7 years but was never the cause for pullover, was only brought up when the officer is rattling off a list of violations. "Car came like this from the dealership" was always good enough to not be cited for it. GFs car has 20% all around and has never been pulled over.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
Just curious to those who have all your windows tinted darker than 35% (mainly 20% all around), do you ever get pulled over for it or is it mentioned during a pull over for something else?
I've had 20% all around on every car for the past decade. Imo the best way to go, you can't see in the car at night but I have no problem seeing out. Never been pulled over for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info