EBC Red stuff....good, bad, ugly??

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I want a brake pad for my DD that is better then stock. Better stopping power and a nice bite. I am sick of the spongy feeling OEM pads and any aftermarket pad from the local parts store is no better. EBC Redstuff pads look tempting to buy so I am asking if any one has hands on experience with these. I was also looking at Hawk but they have the parts listing screwed up for my Accord. I have the bigger front brakes and Hawk claims their front pads cover ALL the Accords. False.

Who knows about EBC pads? Whats the word?
:amsoil:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I can't speak to the red stuff, but I just took the yellow stuff pads off of my truck. They dusted like crazy and were extremely noisy. They did have more bite, but were annoying as shit for a DD truck. They also wore down really fast. I had around 12k miles on them and they were really close to the wear bars. I switched to akebono ceramics. They don't bite as hard, but are dead quiet and still have better bite than stock.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Had EBC GreenStuff pads on my TBSS and my Silverado and could feel the braking difference just from the pads. I tried yellow and red on the TB and just couldnt tolerate the dust from the yellow pads, red pads worked great on the TB with OEM rotors but I got a killer deal on green pads with drilled and slotted rotors and couldn't tell much difference between red with stock rotors or green with drilled/slotted. If it were me and I was sticking with stock rotors I'd go red, drilled and slotted rotors I'd go green. If you follow the bedding in process the pads are great and you can feel the brakes working better within 100-200 miles. When my Escalade needs new brakes I'll most likely do slotted rotors and will definitely be putting EBC pads on, they're worth the extra money.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
On the Accord there's three different front rotor diameters, any chance they're using the same caliper/pad on all 3 combos? Wouldn't surprise me. I put some Hawk HP on the van last year, they were great.

You might be right that they use the same pads across the board for the front but Honda list a different part number and some aftermarket pads list different part numbers between the LX. EX-L, Sport and Touring models.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I would be surprised if they help that much on a newer car. I would try bleeding your brakes first. If still spongy and you really want a pad. I would look at the better ceramics

Otherwise if you want an aggressive street pad the porterfield R4-s is my choice.

I ran EBC yellows and was not impressed on the track at least, some people swear by their products while a lot of other people hate them. I am switching to G-Loc's front and back but that is just for HPDE events. Street wise I still have some hawk hps to burn off before I switch back to porterfields.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Spongy brake feel is probably more due to the calipers, booster and fluid more than the brake pads. Try bleeding the brakes first, just to get some fresh fluid and air out of the system to see if that helps.

As for what pads to use, I recently put some Porterfield R4-S pad on the wife's Mustang GT and they are noticeably better than stock. They have a pretty good bite, don't squeak and don't dust too much.

I have Galfer pads on the Cobra and they are excellent, but they dust a lot. I would definitely get them again since they are one of the best pads I've ever used. Galfer generally makes pads for motorcycles, but they do have some for cars. Their product line is limited, but if you can find some of their pads for your car, it would be worth looking into.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I run Reds on the 3000 and LOVE them. They don't leave a lot of dust that I've noticed and have excellent stopping power. It's extremely noticeable if I pulse the brakes first from high speed, then get back into it again, they bite even harder. They really start to perform when they get warm.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Like I was saying in my first post that Hawk has there listing all screwed up and they claim one pad fits all Accords. I just called Hawk and told them about my situation the rep agreed that the listing is wrong. I emailed him the OEM brake pad part number along with a couple part numbers from after market that fit my car. He is looking into this.

He also said that the Hawk HPS is probably what I want and the the new 5.0 pads are like the HPS pads but can withstand more heat. Let say I have to do multiple quick stops because I am in traffic and get cut off or people pull out in front of me multiple times

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
For street use most brakes pads are going to act similar. Most street pads just have really high initial bite to make you feel like you are stopping better. When they are talking about extreme stops we are talking about going from like 80-20 2-3 times in a minute. Or 110 to to 50 once or twice in a heavier car in a similar time frame. Just not something that happens in most pedestrian cars these days.

If you are getting brake fade on the street without pushing it on curvy roads, something else is going wrong.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I believe Intel mentioned brake fluid in this thread so I went ahead and flushed an entire large bottle of brake fluid through the system and bled all the calipers. It actually seemed to help some making the brake pedal firmer feeling. To my surprise on a 2 1/2 year old car the fluid was already brown in the brake reservoir and at the front calipers.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I've been daily driving on Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. The dust is awful but the stopping power is insane. Could run a less track oriented Carbotech for less dust I imagine.

Daily driving on those pads will wear them out super fast. They'll actually wear out faster doing that than they will on the track. Just FYI. Those pads aren't cheap :rofl: I leave them on my s2000, but I barely drive it.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I believe Intel mentioned brake fluid in this thread so I went ahead and flushed an entire large bottle of brake fluid through the system and bled all the calipers. It actually seemed to help some making the brake pedal firmer feeling. To my surprise on a 2 1/2 year old car the fluid was already brown in the brake reservoir and at the front calipers.

Was there a big difference in braking with the big wheels?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info