949253125db2789d2fa51700fa7c7690.jpg

2129a80517dfd50493919718790f015d.jpg

0849bff437ffc79c29159a524d9d3ddc.jpg

f7d9e7a481bf8807813331382a1fa414.jpg

f0b6a64a5b8824ab1b8fc7362aaa30d1.jpg

602f39cf3416bcd2f99b654fdea5221a.jpg

c6a85ee19b7b4ccfcc569c413c5d3d6d.jpg

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Have you wondered lately if Fiat Chrysler has any new idea(s) up its sleeve? Here’s something to stew over: what you see above is a widebody Chrysler 300 SRT carrying rims and tires from an earlier Dodge Demon mule. There’s also a strong possibility this is packing a Hellcat V8 engine. Dope.

Yeah, if that’s the case, Chrysler’s just shoving a large-ass engine into an old vehicle, but maybe it’s a potential indicator of what’s in the works?

Take a look, and talk amongst yourselves.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The problem as I am reading into the Model S (remember the thread the other day), is that the Tesla is a one trick pony. It is "ludicrous" in terms of speed from a dead stop as long as the battery is above 95%, but in any acceleration test where you're in a roll, the Tesla is slower, much slower. As a matter of fact, C&D tested it and a Charger Hellcat in a 40 - 150 run, and the Model S was 6 seconds slower. Now I get that 40 - 150 was a little on the extreme side, but still... Also, the next argument is "how often do you run from a roll?" Actually quite often. I get very few people that want to challenge my V from a roll, but on the highway, I get it all the time. So this is a pretty important issue for me.

Also, You have to give it 3 minute intervals between flogging as the batteries and electric motor start to overheat. And of course repeated flogging reduces the range commensurately.

I'm sure Mike and LastLS1 will come in and try to refute it, but I've now read this in several reviews.

The point being is, it is stupid fast from a dig, after that it simply becomes a normal car just powered by batteries instead of gas.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
So u don't consider this a hellpig?

If hellpig powered it would most def be a hellpig but more like a hellpig in a tuxedo.

:dunno: classy demon pig ? :rofl: its still heavy and an old chassis none of that can be denied but still a demonized chrysler would be cool i mean its just fucking look at that thing......

Maybe something finally worthy of a CTSV competitor. But the gen3 CTSV chassis would shame this thing.

If it was a 700hp hellpig powered chrysler vs the gen2 CTSV maybe it would have had a better chance.

Either way i still like it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Wait, are you guys for real bringing Teslas into this?

This thread's gonna be a shit show. No comparison from me between the two cars because lol. I will respond about the Tesla specific claims though.

1. The original fast versions were not fast from a roll. The P85D w/ Insane mode was specifically criticized for highway acceleration that wasn't very good relative to off the line acceleration. That's the car I have. While I can report that it is proportionately slower from a roll than from a dig, it's still no slouch. It moves the fuck out. It just doesn't move out like it's acceleration from a dig would suggest.

60-100 I would say it is as fast as my 535 was. 0-60 it would curb stomp the Bimmer. This is the reason all the "Tesla vs" videos are from a dig. They might beat Aventadors to 60 but from any kind of 60+ roll the Lamborghini would absolutely shred the Tesla.

2. The needed charge level for peak acceleration is something that's very misunderstood. Most people think the car needs like a 95% charge to achieve respectable acceleration. This is far from the truth. My car feels as fast with 50% battery as it does with a full charge. Around 80ish miles of range it will start cutting power but the only time I'm ever hitting a range that low is on a road trip where I wouldn't care. Considering Tesla strongly discourages fully charging the car, it would be pointless for them to sell you a horsepower number you could only achieve if you fully charged the car and just for the first few minutes of your drive.

3. Cool downs - the notion that the car overheats between heavy acceleration is just flat out wrong. I could rail the car the entire length of Mulholland with no issues. I could hot lap it at a track with no issues. The only time you'd ever have a problem with overheating is on a road course where you have sustained and repeated full throttle acceleration. As far as on the street though, never a problem. An internal combustion engine is sitting in the pits with ice packs on the blower and sees a substantial difference in power with weather and pressure differences. An electric car is WAY more consistent in power delivery than an internal combustion engine.

Likewise with the notion that range is reduced with repeated heavy acceleration. Of course it is. Put in a full tank of gas and start driving the piss out of your car. Tell me what happens to the "range until empty" estimate.

Mike K out.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Several rags have noted;

- The charge level issue
- the overheating and need to wait a certain period of time
- and the rate of discharge of the battery after repeated flogging.

Yes, we get that flogging a ICE powered vehicle will empty the tank quicker than a leisurely stroll to the grocery store. My V gets absolutely piss poor fuel economy, but I can flog the shit out of it (I do daily), and I still have plenty of fuel left.

Anyway, I'm not bashing the car, just as I am doing my research more on it as a potential next vehicle and these are the things I'm reading backed up by owners in the comments.

When I get to the point of actual purchase, I will have to lay out all the plusses and minusses of all the vehicles I am interested in (including the model S), and see what I weight as most important and where each lays after I sort that out.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
lol I can beat the snot out of the car repeatedly with no ill affects. It doesn't overheat and it loses range at about the same rate any other car loses range if you're beating it up.

Magazines are likely referring to the car on a road course which is where they often test them and which is where you'll find zero Tesla owners. This is not a car designed for a road course and if you take it on one you're going to have a bad time.

It's honestly a bit frustrating having you share inaccurate information (or misunderstood), correcting you on it and giving you some context and then the response I get is basically "lol you're wrong".

I've owned three, I've extensively studied the drivetrain, am intimately aware of it's workings and I am on the forums daily where owners bitch about plenty of stuff but almost never the stuff you are reporting. I say "almost" because I'm sure if you search you'll find someone that's had a problem but as far as I can remember, I've never seen anyone complain of these issues and Tesla owners LOVE to bitch.

Do you want the truth from someone that knows. It seems like you came into the post set in your ways, basically dismissing my response before I ever made one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info