Was sold a car with a CPO warranty, now they called back and said the CPO is void.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I purchased my Audi 3-21-17. It was a CERTIFIED PREOWNED Audi, meaning it has a 100,000 mile warranty from the initial in service date. This is the -only- reason I purchased the car.

I have paperwork showing it was CPO'ed. Also in the paperwork is a warranty page. There was a "TD1" code on the warranty paperwork showing that "ENGINE TUNING" was done (likely meaning an aftermarket flash). It was flashed Feb 6 2017

Quick google search shows that, yes, this means the engine was tuned, and its a red flag on all their warranty screens. Surprised, I called the dealer and spoke to one of the sales managers, he looked into it and called me back saying "oh it may have been tuned, but dont worry, your warranty is fully covered.. nothing to worry about"

He was stuttering as he said it.

I was a service advisor for 7 years.. 4 of those years at a cadillac dealership. This just had red flags all over it. I dont want to be up shits creek 2 years from now if my engine light turns on, if i blow the engine, or the transmissions acts up. I have seen it too many times at MY dealers where we tell customers to pound sand since it is modified.

I wanted to nip this in the bud... so I called Audi Corporate, aka Audi USA in michigan.

I talked to them and explained the situation. I purchased a car with a CPO warranty, and the warranty screen shows it was tuned at one point. The person on the phone excalated it to the regional area director for this region. She called me and said she has to call the selling dealer and find out whats what... whether we have to verify its tuned, or if i have to bring the car back in to get inspected... mind you.. THIS CAR PASSED CERTIFICATION FOR THE FULL 100k warranty... the tech passed it... the dealer signed off on it.. and audi USA approved it.

"you may ask.. dude ryan.. why did you even bring it up to Audi Corporate.. you signed your own death warrant"

yes and no... like I said before.. Ive seen this too many times. I dont want to be up shit creek 2 years from now if the engine light comes on.. or the transmission acts up. )Yes I know I said that twice)

but now you say "dude, magnuson-moss act.. they have to prove it."

Yes.. but I dont have the time or money to have it dealt in court for 8-12months... it isnt an argument in person with the service manager.. these things GO TO COURT.

So im waiting.. and waiting... another sales manager, the used car sales manager calls me back today and tells me that the CPO is void. the car WAS tuned.. but it has been flashed back to stock, and Audi voided the CPO.

He kept apologizing and offered me a third party extended warranty. For those who are in the know.. third party extended warranties are USUALLY absolute garbage. I have dealt with hundreds of them over the years and have only seen a select few that are DECENT. none of them compare to the manufactures CPO warranty. Whether you have a honda, toyota, cadillac, or Audi... the CPO warranty is the best "extended" warranty that can be added onto the vehicle.

I told him that was unacceptable and I only bought the car because it had a CPO. He said there is nothing they can do for that. He has other CPO Audi S3s at the dealer If i wanted to trade for it, but they already have my malibu gone, and I cant return the car.

I told him I would get back to him, since im still waiting for Audi USA to ultimately get back to me.

I did just get off the phone with the GENERAL SALES MANAGER.. he is one step below the general manager. He kinda mentioned the same thing. He did send over a copy of what their third party warranty covers... so im going to look into that.

I'm not sure what to do next. Its easy to sit on the other end of this post and just scream "Lawyer up!! sue their ass! get a lawyer!"

Easier said than done.. Time.. money... time... I don't have all of that. If that is the absolute end of the line option. I suppose I can pursue it.

What do you all think.. What should I realistically do?

** edit As i was typing out this post the Rep from corporate called me back. She did confirm that the POWERTRAIN warranty is in fact -voided- as of this time as well.. so that kinda sucks. I told her I want a CPO or a like vehicle with a CPO. So she is trying to get in contact with the general manager of the whole dealer (whom is on vacation til the 24th). So she escalated it to HER supervisor to see what can be done at this point.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It goes without saying that CPO is the reason people buy these cars. Nobody wants a used Audi with a third party warranty. There is real value in the CPO. I can't believe that they're being so cavalier about it. It is now materially different than what you purchased and don't CPO cars sell for more money? So you've now paid CPO money for a non-CPO car.

I would expect them to get you another identical car or a slighter higher spec'd car. Or they just take it back and write you a check for the trade-in amount on the Malibu.

This seems pretty open and shut.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I have paperwork showing it was CPO'ed. Also in the paperwork is a warranty page. There was a "TD1" code on the warranty paperwork showing that "ENGINE TUNING" was done (likely meaning an aftermarket flash). It was flashed Feb 6 2017

This sounds like the previous owner flashed it back to stock right before his lease was up . Or before trade in .

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've seen it too working in a Chevy service department. And I hated the Mag-Moss act being thrown in our face... It's there to protect the dealership/manufacturer as much as it is the consumer...

Anyway, I know some of these might not be what you want to do ideally, but maybe ya gotta pick the lesser of all evils...

1) Proceed legally. A lawyer, with your signed contract, stating the vehicle is CPO (based on your explanation above), and them revoking it AFTER the deal, is almost like being a United passenger and being "re-accomodated"... Meaning, they'd be all over this. Downside... Time and legal costs.

2) Trade the vehicle in on another. Self explanatory. Downside, financial.

3) Sell vehicle privately, and then go get another. Downside, again, financial, potentially being upside down.

4) NBC Investigates... If I see your story on there, I can say it was my idea. :D

It sounds like Audi USA is being a bunch of Jamokes...

And gawd how I HATED 3rd party warranties. I try to feverishly steer people away from these, but some people just don't listen.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Damn, I'd be angry AF. Threaten to take it to the media in the area. Bad publicity is something they won't want. You did nothing wrong and now they expect you to "suffer" in the event you have an engine issue. Fuck that dealership, which one was it? Hell, maybe a post on their Facebook page and all of the local car pages mentioning the dealership.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
OR send it to Jalopnik (love the site or hate it) they may write up something about it, and get the public on your side and get Audi to do the right thing.

OR talk with Steve Lehto, who is Michigan based, but is very well versed on matters of auto dealer and customer laws. He's written quite books on lemon laws, as well as for Jalopnik and Road and Track.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What is sounds like you want is the Audi you like with a CPO warranty. See what the dealer offers. They may provide you with just that with no hassles.

If they don't offer enough, you can explore the other options starting with the "No, man, that's not enough. You have to do better" option and escalating as far as necessary.

Maybe do a search yourself and find a similar CPO car for a similar price that you can suggest if you don't like what they offer.

Audi probably did not want to open up the "tuned and covered by CPO" warranty issue. That could have extended to a lot more cars than yours if they had said OK. It's easier for them to say no and force the dealer to make it right for your one car purchase.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Lots of good recommendations in this thread, I'd see what the dealer/Audi corporate can do for you first. Sometimes threatening with a lawyer can delay or hinder things, if they tell you to go pound then yes lawyer up. I would at least give them a chance to make it right as quickly as possible first.

I would settle for nothing less than a car of better value with a CPO. Something equal would not compensate you for the BS your having to go through because of a dealership lying to you.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So they did in fact void the PT? Wow....that is some seriously fucked up shit. I didnt think they could just void the PT warranty just like that.

Yep. In GMs world it's call a warranty block. If something has been proven where the factory can and wants to deny coverage it's a click of a button and your entire warranty coverage goes poof and disappears

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
As others mentioned, Id tell them you want a close to identical (or slightly better) CPO car since that is what you paid for. Only other option is to reinstall the CPO on your current car.

Tell them you'll give them this one chance to make it right before contacting a lawyer and going over social media to let everyone know how you were treated unfairly.

As bad as the shit went down for United I don't think ANY company wants to be in the news anytime soon.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
in order of what Id like

1. Get a CPO attached to this car and be happy.

2. Get a LIKE vehicle, white, full options (minus LED headlights), same miles.. with a CPO.. WITH NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES

3. ... not sure on 3 yet. I only really want #1... but ill settle for 2

Totally reasonable requests. I would make them known, and then let them know option three is a lawyer and going to the news and social media with your large following in the car community it might get out of hand in a hurry for them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
OR send it to Jalopnik (love the site or hate it) they may write up something about it, and get the public on your side and get Audi to do the right thing.

OR talk with Steve Lehto, who is Michigan based, but is very well versed on matters of auto dealer and customer laws. He's written quite books on lemon laws, as well as for Jalopnik and Road and Track.

was gonna say this.

this could go national REAL quick.

dats bad.

in order of what Id like

1. Get a CPO attached to this car and be happy.

2. Get a LIKE vehicle, white, full options (minus LED headlights), same miles.. with a CPO.. WITH NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES

3. ... not sure on 3 yet. I only really want #1... but ill settle for 2

i dont think you're wants are unreasonable at all.

should be interesting what happens nonetheless.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
i dont think you're wants are unreasonable at all.

should be interesting what happens nonetheless.

Exactly, it's not like hes demanding an R8 or some shit, he just wants what he paid for.

I would think they could just turn the CPO back on and then just hope it never has a problem? :dunno:

Guessing that would be their easiest and most cost effective route at this point. Taking your car back in and then selling it as a non-CPO will cost them money on top of them finding an adequate CPO car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info