Emissions for my cammed 2013 grandsport

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I always go over to the one by Speed Inc. in Schaumburg (On Mitchell I believe). There is one guy that that always chats it up with me about my Australian car (which has heads, cam, long tubes, catless, yada, yada). So he's a little more friendly than the others.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've never had a problem as long as the check engine light has been off. One guy once commented that it smelled like it was running rich and idled a little rough when I was catless but that's it. Never did they inspect the car.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And that being a 2013, all online readiness monitors are available/ready and not commanding the MIL on. You margin of error is one not being ready.

Look in any "I/M System" menu on whatever scanner you're using. I/M is your Inspection/Maintenance or "readiness" monitor in GM's world.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not sure how that works. But there should be a way to see the readiness monitors (I/M). You just want to make sure that they're all "Ready". If they have a fault, your MIL would be on, so no worries there.

But I think I posted the other day, that 2001+ you can only have one "non-continuous" readiness monitor not ready.

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
It will look like this only with all the monitors when I'm in the car
d43fcb19cfc7575f7064738309955b74.jpg

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
All I'm seeing is it trying to communicate "Waiting for OBDII Connection..." and not status's.

Also don't just go clearing them because it takes a drive cycle to reset them back to ready.

I am not familiar with this app, so I don't know how it works, but this is what you should see (something similar)

The Caddy (CAN vehicle)
Y0eA1eJ.png

My old Monte Carlo (non-CAN)
Da9layx.jpg

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Waiting for connection seems weird. it should give you status updates on all the emission related stuff. Might just be the app or Bluetooth adaptor. I would go get it checked asap. that way you have time to figure out a fix if it does fail.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It doesn't matter how friendly the station is. If they scan the car and there is a fault they can be as nice as they want by the car is going to fail. Now, what you should really find is a place where they are all old grumps that hate cars and freedom to have your emissions done. They can't do shit if the car passes the OBDII test.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
It doesn't matter how friendly the station is. If they scan the car and there is a fault they can be as nice as they want by the car is going to fail. Now, what you should really find is a place where they are all old grumps that hate cars and freedom to have your emissions done. They can't do shit if the car passes the OBDII test.

100% correct

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

You're right, but I think what he's driving at, is someone who realizes that the car isn't just another appliance and they treat as such when it's tested.

Some of the facilities DO have people that realize this isn't another 15 year old Accord with 200,000 miles on it, and treat it with a little more care as they get in/out, plug into the DLC port, etc, etc...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I love how you young guys cry about current emissions. Fucking cakewalk with just a ODBII scan. The actual tail pipe test was something modded car guys had legit reason to fear.

I pulled in with a Ford , 331 stroker, H/C/I, T trim Vortech, 83# injectors, and a 5 speed and SPEC stage 3 clutch. None of that later Stage 3+ light weight pedal bullshit. A 73 year old man got in the car and could hardly press the clutch in. He didn't think he could drive the car. I told him to just dump the clutch. He pulled it on the rollers and another guy shoved the sensor in the dumps under the car. Old dude gave it some gas and actually dumped the clutch. It smoked the tires for a second and off went the rollers. each gear change was the same. The car passed quicker than the Honda in the lane next to it. I wish phones had cameras on them back then. It was a sight to see.

But really, thank god for ODBII testing now. :rofl:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I love how you young guys cry about current emissions. Fucking cakewalk with just a ODBII scan. The actual tail pipe test was something modded car guys had legit reason to fear.

I pulled in with a Ford , 331 stroker, H/C/I, T trim Vortech, 83# injectors, and a 5 speed and SPEC stage 3 clutch. None of that later Stage 3+ light weight pedal bullshit. A 73 year old man got in the car and could hardly press the clutch in. He didn't think he could drive the car. I told him to just dump the clutch. He pulled it on the rollers and another guy shoved the sensor in the dumps under the car. Old dude gave it some gas and actually dumped the clutch. It smoked the tires for a second and off went the rollers. each gear change was the same. The car passed quicker than the Honda in the lane next to it. I wish phones had cameras on them back then. It was a sight to see.

Shit it was scary for non modded cars too. I had a few cars that just ran good but weren't tuned just right (carbed) or the smog crap wasnt working just right and they would fail. The modded cars I don't think I ever had a issue with.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

Agree. I constantly argue with people who try to work around it. Why? It's painless now and actually helps you. Just fucking do it. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info