Fatal mods

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Article is clearly anti-mod, either intentionally, complete ignorance, or both.

Article alleges gases leaked between motor and exhaust but then says removal of cat converter was a big contributing factor? :dunno:

"Two friends died from carbon monoxide poisoning after sitting in a "souped-up" car that had been fatally modified, an inquest heard."

Friends killed by carbon monoxide after Ford Fiesta 'souped up' to improve performance, inquest hears

Article may be considered a free thread or free posts it's so ridiculous.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
were they just letting it warm up or boofing or what? seems surprising that both would pass out at the same time and that one of them wouldn't do something like open a door but i suppose someone may not know what is going on anyway and your brain is definitely not working well once you are at that point.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I worked with a kid back in the day who did some exhaust work to his caprice station wagon :rofl:. Carbon monoxide leaked into the car and he fell asleep while driving and crashed into a cement bridge. Guy lived but has his jaw wired shut for awhile.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I assume a tune or something may have played a part as well. Or they sat there for a long ass time. Even without cats new cars are still pretty clean.

We did a small study back in college, since back in the day a good way to kill yourself without pain was to sit in the garage with the car running. Well my teacher estimated based on the tailpipe emissions of today's cars you would have to sit in the garage for nearly 12 hours or more before it would become lethal. Lol.

Then we measured my heads cam, no cat camaro at idle. And he estimated 15-30 minutes you would be totally blacked out. ROFL

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
This shit could've just as easily have happened with a stock vehicle too. So it doesn't need to be "souped up"...

I can't count how many GM trucks came in with blown exhaust manifold gaskets over the years. But other than just hearing the ticking from valvetrain noise and blow-by of the exhaust gasses themselves, no one perished.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
This shit could've just as easily have happened with a stock vehicle too. So it doesn't need to be "souped up"...

I can't count how many GM trucks came in with blown exhaust manifold gaskets over the years. But other than just hearing the ticking from valvetrain noise and blow-by of the exhaust gasses themselves, no one perished.

It would have taken a painfully long time though. I mean a 15-20 min warm up would not be near enough to knock you out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info