New car, detailing questions?

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Yes think of sealants as something to put on every 3-6 months and wax every month.
Even though it's new you should clay bar/ nano skin it. Most vehicles are shipped by rail and have a lot of rail dust on them. Paint correct. No new vehicle has perfect paint. Seal then wax.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
It's white. If you look close enough I'll bet you can find "rail dust" spots whether or not it's actually from the train. Most vehicles on auto rack cars are shipped with that white plastic sheeting stuck to them so I'm not sure how much of the iron contaminates are actually from rail transport. I have used clay bar in the past to remove it, but got some iron x to try out once it warms up and I can reseal the car. The stuff smells awful even sealed in the bottle but it worked really well on my wheels.

To answer what you actually asked though, I'd do the whole wash, clay, correct, seal process. Wolfgang 3.0 sealant topped off with aquawax here and there has held up for 6 months on my daily driven car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
wax monthly :rofl:

maxresdefault.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Yes it's from car pro. It dissolves iron contaminates in your paint. I tried it out on my wheels and it dissolved all the brake dust and "bleeds" purple in the process. Looking forward to trying it on some rusty brake dust spots I have collected over the winter. The stuff smells like big foots dick though.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Yes it's from car pro. It dissolves iron contaminates in your paint. I tried it out on my wheels and it dissolved all the brake dust and "bleeds" purple in the process. Looking forward to trying it on some rusty brake dust spots I have collected over the winter. The stuff smells like big foots dick though.

Yes, is it needed process? I have a new car as well.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Do not over saturate your applicator... and I have found a minimum of 45 minutes to allow it to "cure" is needed.
longer if the air temps are colder.

When you go to remove it, it should not smear, it should wipe off clean.
get ready for one of the slickest feeling paint you have seen.

WG FTMFW

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Do not over saturate your applicator... and I have found a minimum of 45 minutes to allow it to "cure" is needed.

WG FTMFW

10-4. Apply it by hand or with a buffer?

I'm gonna try this on my civic and if it turns out good I might attempt my truck. However, it does have some swirl marks from washing. Anything I should use to remove them before the sealant? Also I might use that Iron X stuff on it just to get everything off the paint.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
In a perfect world you would "correct" the paint by polishing to remove the swirls / scratches / misc defects.
If it's a DD and you just want to clay and seal it, then that's up to you.

I have applied the WG via a porter cable with a finishing pad ( gray and red depending on the size of the Lake country pads ).
I have also applied it by hand, if you apply it by hand, apply it in a linear pattern, not circular.

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004

I just used this stuff for the first time today and it's awesome. Unfortunately what I thought was some iron deposits on my fronts are issues with the powdercoat :( but the wheels look awesome regardless and now I can lay down some sealant on them until I decide to have them recoated.

I also had no idea it was safe for paint and my wifes white 17' santa fe has some of those little iron pits I'm going to use it on!

I'm doing what the guys have said above, washed, clay bar, and I am using Optimum Sealant , also have the Detailer Pro Sealant I may try.

edit.. the Iron X smells HORRIBLE like DanJoy mentioned lol. When I took the cap off the bottle my garage smelled for a day!

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004

WG FTMFW

Have you guys used either of these, if so any feedback?
Optimum Opti-Seal
Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

This stuff used to be DP (Detailer Pro) but looks like they were bought out by McKee
Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Have you guys used either of these, if so any feedback?
Optimum Opti-Seal
Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

This stuff used to be DP (Detailer Pro) but looks like they were bought out by McKee
Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating

I have not used opti-seal but have only heard great things

I bought the McKee's coating kit which includes glass, wheel, paint coatings and the car wash, paint cleansing polish ( pre coating ).

so far I only applied the wheel coating to my trucks wheels and bumpers. Easy application.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info