The execs and Cons of both I6 and V6 engines

stanton

Mar 1, 2017
BMW is one of the closing automobile manufacturers on the earth to make I6 engines. The inline-six-cylinder engine is on that automobile fans adore, due to their silky smoothness and outstanding inherent noise. besides the fact that children, they’re a demise breed, because of their bigger measurement and extra problematic packaging wants. For the most part, inline engines had been changed by way of “V” engine setups, such because the enormously average V6. vehicle Throttle these days put collectively a video describing the pros and cons of each and the variations between the two.
First up is the I6 engine, currently nonetheless in use by means of best BMW. youngsters, there have been many brands during the past to enhance iconic I6 engines. Nissan famously used one in the R32 GT-R and Toyota used an I6 in the Supra as smartly. Even Jeep had a relatively famous four.0 liter I6 engine in its Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler lines for a while. however, BMW is the most famous manufacturer to make use of six inline cylinders and nevertheless makes iconic ones these days.

BMW_S54B32_Engine-750x562.jpg

What are one of the most execs to an I6 engine? at the start, they’re less demanding to construct, work on and are extra reliable. much less moving ingredients, akin to cam shafts, make the I6 the more reliable and the inherent stability of six cylinders in a straight line make it a long way smoother engine than anything else with a “V” configuration. There’s additionally an excellent sound that comes from I6 engines that enthusiasts usually love.
There are some cons, though. The size of an I6 engine makes it complicated to package, which is sooner or later why automakers switched to V6 engines. especially in today’s world, which necessitates frontal crash zones and crumple zones. there is additionally reasonably a bit of of torsional stress on definite parts, such because the crankshaft and camshafts. because of the length of the engine, both types of shafts are somewhat long, which can cause serious stress within the middle whereas rotating at severe pace.
The V6 engine parts become developed to be extra compact, less complicated to equipment and to work smartly with entrance-wheel force. as a result of automakers can quite simply healthy V6 engines into practically any vehicle, it grew to be the go-to six-cylinder engine configuration. If the motor vehicle business only has to make one engine setup, it’s drastically less high priced. So the V6 lived on.

zmerc-004-750x500.jpg

Although, the V6 is extra complicated, as it has two units of camshafts, due to the split cylinder head. That’s greater complexity in addition to greater moving parts, which will also be less reputable. V6 engines are also naturally unbalanced, requiring balance shafts. This continues to add complexity.
For the most half, the I6 has gone by the wayside, leaving V6s to dominate and leaving BMW as its only proponent. youngsters, there’s hope for the I6. Mercedes-Benz lately announced that it would be establishing a brand new line of I6 engines that allows you to exchange its V6 instruments. MB should be dealing with the dimension and packaging by using a 48-volt electrical sub-gadget that will energy and ancillary accessories, similar to air-conditioning and power steerage. This now best reduces draw off the engine, as these components usually run on pulleys powered by way of the engine’s crankshaft, but eliminates these components from the front of the engine, making it smaller and less difficult to equipment. BMW will likely make the same circulate in the future and we might see a resurgence of the I6 engine.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
I loved my inline 6 cylinder '09 BMW. Then Went to a '15 inline 6 cylinder twin spooled turbo BMW. One of the reasons I upgraded from my 328i is because the new 328i's are turbo 4 cylinders. And I just wanted more power.

Personally I think V6's sound like poop. Especially Camaro's & Mustang's. Most recently it is 2 Camaro drivers (both male trying to show me they were hot stuff by revving their poopy engine & looking over). One was on Algonquin by Harper College last Wednesday trying to impress me by revving his engine like a douche bag. The other sought my car out in Crystal Lake and made me be sure I noticed him by of course revving his engine & being obnoxious. I honestly don't get this treatment with the V8 Camaro's & Mustang's. It's really just V6's. Can anybody explain that?

Bottom line is the inline 6 cylinder motor is great. The V6's motor sounds like poop but would trust a V8 motor. And Camaro V6 male drivers drive like asshats around my car.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
The problem is, people putting aftermarket exhaust on them that can cause them to sound like poop.

Or no exhaust on them & they sound like a PT Cruiser going over rumble strips on high speed trying to make a light. That seems to be the guys that want to draw my attention. I am much more interested in the Audi RS5 that I have recently seen floating around the area.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I had an Ecoboost SHO next to me going up Kirk Rd. last week. It had some aftermarket exhaust (or maybe him just cutting parts out of the stock system), and it absolutely sounded terrible. Yet at every light, he was sure to let everyone hear it in all its glory.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
I had an Ecoboost SHO next to me going up Kirk Rd. last week. It had some aftermarket exhaust (or maybe him just cutting parts out of the stock system), and it absolutely sounded terrible. Yet at every light, he was sure to let everyone hear it in all its glory.

That was the Camaro's. The one in Schaumburg was worse because the freaking dude was in front of me at a light. As soon as I caught up to him, he began revving his engine. And continued to do it as he was pulling into Harper College. Would have laughed if he would have spun out & wedged himself into the curb but I was long gone by then. My co-worker was laughing when I said he caught the pipes off & that was what was hanging below his car. I was just shaking my head.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info