Car Storage Options

mdurec21

Mar 5, 2017
I have a summer car that I've previously kept in my garage over the winter, but the family is growing and space is at a premium.

i'm looking for car storage options in and around the Chicagoland area.

Does anyone have any suggestions or info on places they've used for car storage and what they've paid? I realize I could go to a U-Store-It but would rather use a place specializing in car storage.

mdurec21

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply. What did the self storage run you per month?

By "specializing in car storage", I think I'd like something that is climate controlled and video secure. I think having a place where others are storing their cars would help me sleep better at night.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. What did the self storage run you per month?

By "specializing in car storage", I think I'd like something that is climate controlled and video secure. I think having a place where others are storing their cars would help me sleep better at night.

Prices depend on location. A 10x20 which is pretty much a 1 car garage I believe is $125/150 a month. Most franchised storage places are gated and have video surveillance. Unless you have some nice classic, climate controlled to me is just not a necessity

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You have that expensive place in Naperville/Warrenville...

I have mine in the climate controlled units at Titan in Elgin. HOWEVER, before you go running over there, I have had many issues with what they consider "Climate Controlled" vs, what I consider "Climate Controlled" and what I am paying for (and what is in their contract). It's gotten lower, and lower each winter and has leveled the last year or two. But in the dead of winter, it's only just above 40* in there...

If it's 0* or less in January, then yea, that's warm. But like this mild winter, might as well just opt for a cheaper, non-"Climate Controlled" unit.

I've had numerous discussions with management to no avail, and told "this is what corporate wants it at".

The only reason I haven't dumped it, is because it's really close to the house and if I want to drive the car I have in there, I can actually bike over.

Carvin

Old Shredder
Aug 24, 2015
Westmont
I have a summer car that I've previously kept in my garage over the winter, but the family is growing and space is at a premium.

i'm looking for car storage options in and around the Chicagoland area.

Does anyone have any suggestions or info on places they've used for car storage and what they've paid? I realize I could go to a U-Store-It but would rather use a place specializing in car storage.

A guy on the Corvette Forum has a place way out near Peotone that he rents
super cheap, I want to say like $30/month. If interested you could search the Vette Forum. He had pix up there.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I rent a space in a climate controlled condo building garage I found on Craigslist. Being a condo, they have cameras and secure entry. Of course, this was my first winter there and I haven't been to my car since December so it may be gone. Who knows.

Camarokid327

Fear of speed bumps but slowly getting over them.
Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Anyone know of somebody in the Chicagoland area (North Center, Roscoe Village, Lakeview) who has available garage space they are willing to rent out this winter? The condo I'm moving into in October does not have garage parking and no one in the area who is renting spots allow mechanical work. I'm open to nearby suburbs as well.

I would need the space only from Nov-April 'ish as I'm planning to swap a forged 408, stronger trans and a S60 rear end in my Procharged '02 Camaro.

Camarokid327

Fear of speed bumps but slowly getting over them.
Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Somebody needs to get a pole barn....

Make it an official TCG pole barn open to members haha

If I remember correctly, last year Red Mist Automotive adverised that they had heated indoor storage for the winter.

Unfortunately they would be an hour plus drive from where I'm moving to. Not ideal if I'm looking to work on the car this winter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info