What SUV's can haul decent sized travel trailers

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Who all here has experience hauling travel trailers with an SUV? I'm looking for something that can easily deal with a 24' Travel Trailer (Around 4-5000lbs i'd imagine), along with being a daily duty truck for Home Depot, etc.

The ones that come to mind are:
Suburbans/Yukons
Expeditions
Excursions
Durangos (only come in SWB, so I'd imagine they aren't ideal)?
Range Rovers/Porsche Caynnes (rated to tow 7500ish) outside of warranty scare the bejezus out of me.
Pathfinder Armada's (Do not seem to have great track records)
Toyota Sequoia?
Toyota Land Cruiser (Crazy Money even used)
XC90 (Not sure what they are rated for with the V-8, or if its even recommended)

(The Ranger is vastly too small/light to want to try and tow something that large and not get tossed around before its asked)

I've visited this topic a handful of times in one way or another over the past 2 years I know, but I'm curious who has real experience.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I say the Suburban/Yukon would be at the top of my list. I love my escalade for tow pig duty which is the same thing with a 6.2L. I've only towed an open car trailer though so can't comment on that, but I wouldn't hesitate to try. I think the 07-15 Escalades were rated at 8000lb towing. Would recommend an upgraded hitch and brake controller. i tow on stock hitch with a tekonsha brake controller and it's absolutely fine.

j4BobQW.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I say the Suburban/Yukon would be at the top of my list. I love my escalade for tow pig duty which is the same thing with a 6.2L. I've only towed an open car trailer though so can't comment on that, but I wouldn't hesitate to try. I think the 07-15 Escalades were rated at 8000lb towing. Would recommend an upgraded hitch and brake controller. i tow on stock hitch with a tekonsha brake controller and it's absolutely fine.

My FIL has towed this very travel trailer with his 2015 Burb, and he grieved that it didn't tow it as well as his 2013 2500 Burb (Which is actually part of the reason why I started this thread). I'd imagine road manners when towing something that bulky behind you can vary pretty wildly with an SUV.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Throw anything nissan out the window, they pretty much overheat from the factory under towing conditions and require a bit to get up to snuff.

Our crapcan team tows a 24 foot enclosed trailer with a tahoe 5.3. It isn't the prettiest/funnest thing to do. Suburban would be a bit better.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
My FIL has towed this very travel trailer with his 2015 Burb, and he grieved that it didn't tow it as well as his 2013 2500 Burb (Which is actually part of the reason why I started this thread). I'd imagine road manners when towing something that bulky behind you can vary pretty wildly with an SUV.

Do those only come with the 5.3L? Towing capacity should all be the same but maybe that added torque from the 6.2L would steer you into something like an Escalade. Maybe the Tahoe comes with a 6.0 or 6.2L

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what do you want to spend

Basically would go one of 2 directions; would want to buy it cash for under $4-5000, or finance something sub 30k once the cooper is paid off in a few months.

If its not possible to acquire something that could handle a trailer of that size in cash and a trade-in is required; It would need to not have 10 billion miles on it, which is a pretty common trend unfortunately for the newer options that would be preferred.

We fully planned on buying a 3/4 ton ram this year since the value proposition is crazy, but the more we think about it, the more sense an SUV makes with the dogs and the things we plan on doing with it (and the fact that we have the Ranger as far as pickup bed needs goes).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Do those only come with the 5.3L? Towing capacity should all be the same but maybe that added torque from the 6.2L would steer you into something like an Escalade. Maybe the Tahoe comes with a 6.0 or 6.2L

His 2500 had the 6.0, but it had a different rear end setup than the half ton trucks. The 2015 is a 5.3, and he misses the extra power of the 6.0.

Longer the better and I would skip anything with IRS

That's the impression I had (Longer is better when it comes to dealing with travel trailers).

Throw anything nissan out the window, they pretty much overheat from the factory under towing conditions and require a bit to get up to snuff.

Our crapcan team tows a 24 foot enclosed trailer with a tahoe 5.3. It isn't the prettiest/funnest thing to do. Suburban would be a bit better.

Yea, I figure nissan was a non-starter, just threw it in my post because it is rated for the weight.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
20k goes a long way in used GM suv fullsize land.

worth mentioning of course here, but perhaps even more important than engine, is gear ratio.

my 5.3 burban pulled fucking awesome with it's 4.10s...

Not nearly as far as I would have thought when it comes to the miles, everything I Was looking at in the ~15k range had 160+K on it, or was a low trim level. Hadn't broadened the price past that just yet.

The obvious choice (and still the most likely purchase) is a 07+ Suburban Lt or LTZ with as low miles as possible (and in black because wifes request).

The 3/4 ton 07+ trucks seem to still have a pretty crazy premium on them as well (or have a billion miles on them).

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'd get a 99-2006 2500 Suburban/Yukon if your budget is for a sub $10,000 tow vehicle. Anything newer GM with the 6-speed auto will tackle that without issue as well. As with anything, the longer the wheelbase the better it will tow. My tahoe has the grunt to move my car hauler but it gets pushed around like the nerdy kid in class when you try and maneuver or stop at speed.

14457346_10154646065224589_4640569533841335538_n.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info