Philosophical Question, Nice Racecar or nice Daily?

Would you rather have

• Total voters

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Something I've been thinking a lot about lately, would you rather have
A. A really nice "Toy" car / racecar (meaning a car you use mostly for pleasure such as car shows, drag racing, etc) BUT you have a car payment on it, and then a paid - off beater daily car OR
B. A nicer, newer daily that has a warranty, has nicer creature comforts, and you have a payment on it and then a cheaper, paid off "Toy" car / racecar?

I can think of strong arguments on both sides but just curious as to others opinions.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah...both. My daily has all the nice creature comforts with a warranty, but its 400+ hp with AWD.

And I have a supercharged Mustang that I can leave in parts while working on, and don't have to stress about beating the shit out of.

Both go to the drag strip!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have asked myself this same question a few times.

I have to go with option B. Nice daily with a paid off racecar.

My reasoning is you spend most of your time in the daily. Why shouldn't it be something a little nicer? I have been seriously floating around the idea with the wife of a nice preowned Tesla Model S. I drive 38 miles one way to work and I am tired of the Cruze. I want something comfy with tons of options.

Bad00ss

Rockford's Slow Junk
Apr 15, 2006
I would never have a payment on a race car. the thing breaks all the time. who wants to make payments on some blown up shit in your garage. half the time I have it toren apart to upgrade things or the motor is out. I'm not making payments on it while it sits that would suck.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I would never have a payment on a race car. the thing breaks all the time. who wants to make payments on some blown up shit in your garage. half the time I have it toren apart to upgrade things or the motor is out. I'm not making payments on it while it sits that would suck.

This!

Although I eventually lost interest in the "race car" due to both age and getting to used to driving a decent daily.

In my situation I had my old 2v mustang I started modifying while I was making payments, while I could drive it in snow (another set of tires swapped on) it wasn't worth it because salt and creeping to and from work at the time which took twice as long. So I used to buy winter beaters to get me to and from work. Well the beaters sucked and always had some problem and I couldn't wait till spring arrived and I could junk or sell them. It was not an enjoyable situation needless to say.

Once the mustang was paid off I was able to get a decent daily which afforded me the no fucks given if the mustang was broke (which the more it became a race car *loose term* the more often it happened.) It wasn't more than a few years that I just stopped driving the mustang at all. Even in nice weather it wasn't conducive for me to driving a 450+rwhp loud rattling mustang to and from work.

Granted new cars making that same power or more with all the creature comforts and ride quality can change this stance you still have to be concerned with if you up the anty too much what do you do if it breaks? Now you have a car with a payment and a hefty price to fix it and then worry how your getting to and from work.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Paid for Racecar with a nothing special paid for daily driver 4x4 truck. Not having payments allows me money for upgrades to the Racecar and maintaining the daily and room for a budget to start other projects...:io:

I hate having payments and have only financed 2 vehicles in my lifetime. The racecar, I save money because I have built every piece of it with the exception of trans rebuilds.
Also having a Company work truck helps out Huuuge...:fy:

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
This!

Although I eventually lost interest in the "race car" due to both age and getting to used to driving a decent daily.

In my situation I had my old 2v mustang I started modifying while I was making payments, while I could drive it in snow (another set of tires swapped on) it wasn't worth it because salt and creeping to and from work at the time which took twice as long. So I used to buy winter beaters to get me to and from work. Well the beaters sucked and always had some problem and I couldn't wait till spring arrived and I could junk or sell them. It was not an enjoyable situation needless to say.

Once the mustang was paid off I was able to get a decent daily which afforded me the no fucks given if the mustang was broke (which the more it became a race car *loose term* the more often it happened.) It wasn't more than a few years that I just stopped driving the mustang at all. Even in nice weather it wasn't conducive for me to driving a 450+rwhp loud rattling mustang to and from work.

Granted new cars making that same power or more with all the creature comforts and ride quality can change this stance you still have to be concerned with if you up the anty too much what do you do if it breaks? Now you have a car with a payment and a hefty price to fix it and then worry how your getting to and from work.
You bailed on us 2V bros!!!! :gtfo2:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well my current situation is the paid for fun car, and nice-ish daily w/ payment. For the amount of time i spend in my fun car these days, hell if im going to be making payments on something that just sits in my garage 4-5 days a week. Plus IMO if you're gonna buy a newer fun car and make payments on it, anything you do to it will immediately void the warranty anyways.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
All valid points. I guess it also depends on what you really plan on doing with your Toy car. I'm still deciding on what to focus on with my Mustang, but for now I just love driving it whenever, wherever. It's done everything I've asked it and exceeded all my expectations. Hoping to get aggressive on paying it down this year and then, my goal is super nice, loaded AF daily.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I've been thinking about this myself. Having owned my 95 SHO track car for a while, my fun car is a paid off, old car. It looks cool, but I wouldn't take it to car shows cause everyone is going to look at the missing interior and walk away. G8 is a nice and fun daily, but I would like more out of it.

I've been thinking about selling both and getting a pretty boring/cheap daily and nice fun car.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Voted number 3 family friends and even some TCG members talked me into buying snow tires and stop being a puss.

Dont regret it for a second either.

There is nothing rare about my car its just a damn mustang but i spend good money on the payment no sense in it sitting in the garage might as well enjoy it year round.

Auto start
Heated seats
Snow tires

Bring it old man winter snow be damned.

:fy:

Edit.

New performance cars with a proper set of snow tires really dont leave much for compromise in manners or comfort.

Hell if I could get away with it after doing this mustang in the winter id rock a damn vette in the winter with a set of snows on it but i have children so that would never fly

50ish K bright green auto hellpig with a set of winter tires blasting through the snow would be a riot in a tank like that! :naughtyd:

Thread Info