Looking for a new SUV for the Mrs.

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
So we are getting to the point of buying my wife a new SUV. She currently has a 08 Saab 9-7x with 5.3 LS engine(Basically a TBSS with a 5.3). She likes the car but its getting up there in mileage.

I was originally looking at Tahoe because I loved LS engines and know my way around them but after further research it seems like all 07-14s burn oil because they have DOD. I do not want an Oil burner so i'm basically eliminating those.

So now i have to venture away from my comfort zone(GM) and starting looking elsewhere. I would like to get her something a few years old like 2013 or so. We would like to stay around $20-25k.
In terms of proprieties:
1. Reliability
2. Luxury Options
3. Gas mileage(sorta)

What are your recommendations? I will not by a Kia or a Hyundai.

The Mercedes GLK350 have me interested but I have always swayed away from the german stuff due to repair complexity. Anyone have experience with these?

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
I have a 2012 PPV with the 5.3, run 5w40 semi synthetic and it burns less than a 1/2 quart per 1k miles. Has DOD. I'm sure being a PPV it didn't lead an easy life, but I understand your reservations, the DOD system can potentially be more issues than it's worth.

This Saab has it too. I turned it off with my HPtuners and it helped a little but still burns some oil. I dont want to deal with it again, its a garbage system.

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
What do you consider luxury or nice features?

I think the most important is nice comfortable leather seats, think like the new suburbans and tahoes. Heated leather.

Im sure she would love premium sound with bluetooth. She currently has bose but no bluetooth.

Im sure she would also like Nav.

We drove a new BMW in australia when we were there and she loved it. Had all types of wierd tech.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
[MENTION=3605]pajamasam[/MENTION] how much for "up there in mileage" 97x?
pm me some info, im in the market for such a vehicle.

i agree that DOD is bullshit system that doesnt save much fuel at all.. so why not just do a delete to one if you got it?
i think that tahoe/yukon/escalade family is THE BEST choice.. ive been looking for myself for quite a while..

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
[MENTION=3605]pajamasam[/MENTION] how much for "up there in mileage" 97x?
pm me some info, im in the market for such a vehicle.

i agree that DOD is bullshit system that doesnt save much fuel at all.. so why not just do a delete to one if you got it?
i think that tahoe/yukon/escalade family is THE BEST choice.. ive been looking for myself for quite a while..

I believe hers has 160-170k on it. I have turned off DOD on it already.

If we got a tahoe or similar it would most likely have ~90k on it for our price range and by that time it is too late and turning off the DOD won't really help all that much.

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
This is the only picture I have. This is when we bought it back in 2013.

dc24cfce79adb8034ceff6c1877f5a06.jpg

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
Does anyone have experience with Euro brands? I really like what i'm seeing about the 2013 GLK350. Also the BMW x3 seem nice but sounds like some are have reliability problems.

What I find crazy is, these cost the same as 2010 Tahoes, 2013 Honda/Acura, and many others.

I have ZERO euro experience but I am very good at working on cars and diagnosing problems but the repair work still makes me a little nervous. I have heard some horror stories.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Ford Explorer Sport

2013 Ford Explorer Sport Sport Utility 4 Door | eBay

I don't know what features came on what years, but I got my wife a 2015, and it has heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, remote start that turns heat on in winter with heated seat and AC on in summer with AC seats, navigation, backup camera, fancy cruise control that actually slows down and speeds up for you based on traffic, etc. The majority of the fancy stuff was all standard in the 402A (I think) package.

Also has 365 horsepower, and is a cheap tune away from being much more!

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Does anyone have experience with Euro brands? I really like what i'm seeing about the 2013 GLK350. Also the BMW x3 seem nice but sounds like some are have reliability problems.

What I find crazy is, these cost the same as 2010 Tahoes, 2013 Honda/Acura, and many others.

I have ZERO euro experience but I am very good at working on cars and diagnosing problems but the repair work still makes me a little nervous. I have heard some horror stories.

Run away from mercedes.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I would only consider the German SUVs if you plan to keep it during the factory warranty period, or getting an extended warranty (which will cost $3k+). Even though you are good with a wrench, if they do end up with issues, they tend to be expensive. The depreciation on those Euro SUVs are also horrendous, even though the first owner took the biggest hit.

Since it sounds like you want more room than the compact SUVs, I'd check out the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder and/or Murano, and Ford Explorer and/or Edge.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info