Your cars/trucks REAL life monitored

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Many probably have not seen this being discussed deep in the diesel thread, so here it goes.

As most informed people do, they monitor their maintenance schedule based on hours not miles. Unfortunately not everything has a hour meter, but if you do, you are in luck. This helps a lot when looking at vehicles to purchase to see if they were truly 'highway' driven.

If you do have a hour meter, simply take your mileage and divide it by the hours. This will give you an average MPH. Obviously the higher the better. If you want to see what your ideal mileage should be, take your hours and multiple by 33.

33 MPH is a great bench mark that was set by a big truck manufacturer back in the day.

My 05 GTP which I knew was a highway car when I got it @136k, has a average mph of 42. My miles are 196k and 4600 hours.

Let's take hours and multiple by 33. It gives me a total mileage of 153k. Which is awesome, this car really is all highway.

I had a truck in today with 55k miles and 5500 hours. That gives us an average mph of 10 mph. You bet your ass the egr system is clogged the fuck up from idling and doing no work.

This makes 3 in a row for same company. If I was a fleet manager I would be having their asses and installing idle shut down timers. All 3 of these repairs have costed them roughly $15k total

Let's see what the actual life is. 5500 X 33 = 181k...

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
As yaj said not as major for gas engines. Work trucks most definitely though. GM of Canada uses hours to determine when your powertrain is up. Especially for trucks in the oil fields idling a shit ton.

Seen trucks with 30k on the odo and the powertrain was already expired. Excellent info though

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As yaj said not as major for gas engines. Work trucks most definitely though. GM of Canada uses hours to determine when your powertrain is up. Especially for trucks in the oil fields idling a shit ton.

Seen trucks with 30k on the odo and the powertrain was already expired. Excellent info though

what's the hour number for that?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
FUCK THAT EGR SHIT :fu:

LBZINT.jpg

60039334.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That is some great info, I did my calculations for my Hemi Ram and I'm around 28mph. Why is this not as important to a gasser Vs a Diesel? Are gassers better to let idle then diesels?

not as much shit to worry about.

diesels were fine too until epa dick slapped them into all the emissions bullshit.

i mean... many gas engines don't have egr's

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That is some great info, I did my calculations for my Hemi Ram and I'm around 28mph. Why is this not as important to a gasser Vs a Diesel? Are gassers better to let idle then diesels?

Gas cars really are not left idling. This more or less applies to those work trucks. Ones that are left idling while supplying power for another purpose or while on a job site. Your work trucks, company work horses etc. think less about the 1500-2500 series. More or less your big 3500 or above vehicles.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Gas cars really are not left idling. This more or less applies to those work trucks. Ones that are left idling while supplying power for another purpose or while on a job site. Your work trucks, company work horses etc. think less about the 1500-2500 series. More or less your big 3500 or above vehicles.

yes they very much so are left idling, again, it just doesn't matter as much as it does on a complicated emissions stricken diesel.

US_Capitol_Police_Cruiser_Ford_Crown_Vic_fr.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info