CVT in the new hondas

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
News to me..but apparently civics and accords have had CVT transmissions for he last few years. Anyone have one or know anyone that does? Good, bad, etc?

I can't find many negatives online which isn't surprising given its a honda, but still I have some homework to do. The wife is looking at a new accord

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
My girlfriend has a 2014 civic since new with about 39,000 miles that has the CVT and has no issues, and my mom just picked up a 2016 civic with the 1.5T and CVT and it seems fine as well so far. The 2016 with the turbo 1.5 liter pulls pretty hard, but a turbo 4 banger with a CVT just feel weird to me since I'm used to a manual 6 speed. they both get high 30's to low 40's mpg highway.

My girlfriend had a Chevy Cruze rental with a standard slush box automatic and hated it. She was trying to explain to me the weird things it would do when accelerating, and I was really confused until I realized she was used to the CVT and not the revving and then dropping a gear on a standard automatic.

chrisdicarlo

Apr 20, 2015
I have a 2013 accord with a 2.2 4cyl. The Honda cvt's are a little different than a normal cvt as Honda still uses a torque converter. That being said I have had mine since new and it has 55k now. Not a single issue with the car. I get 34mpg highway and 28 city. The only thing that I have found with it is sometimes when I go to pull out of the garage I put the car in reverse and take my foot of the brake the car will not roll back or does so very slow. I then can just tap the gas and it will start to roll. The forums say this can happen if there is not enough fluid pressure from putting the car in gear to fast after it has been started

I have also found the the car does not start to accelerate hard until you are above 3k rpm. For normal driving the car is fine.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Those new CVTs have a belt? I thought I read something about that.

I'm also thinking about picking up a new civdawg. Torn between a 2012 for $10K or find a used 2016 LX. My 2006 has 160K miles and never let me down. GM/Ford should take a look at Honda's reliability. Still on my original ball joints and tie rod ends!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Thank you for the replies guys. I told her I think we should get the accord, right now it's between that and the R line Passat. She's gonna go look at the R line on lunch today

Just picked up an EX with CVT. Keep up on fluid changes and it'll be fine. Previous years have had some issues and recalls.

What trim level is she looking at?

She's looking at the sport SE. I didn't realize they optioned these things with the 19" wheels, leather, LED's and the 4 cylinder. $27k MSRP and the dealer is offering it to us for $23k.

I especially like that the salesman and manager worked the price right there, with payment, without any bullshit added on. No finance shysters trying to rob us of an extra $500-$1500

mg_640.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My neighbors have a 2014 and no issues. I drove the car a couple times and was surprised on how the car drove with the CVT, impressed. It does not have that crappy feeling like a Nissan CVT in lets say an Altima.

I didn't even realize it was a CVT until we got back from the test drive and looked at the brochure. I noticed I didn't feel it downshift to 1st when I'd normally expect it to but figured she just didn't give it enough gas.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Thank you for the replies guys. I told her I think we should get the accord, right now it's between that and the R line Passat. She's gonna go look at the R line on lunch today

She's looking at the sport SE. I didn't realize they optioned these things with the 19" wheels, leather, LED's and the 4 cylinder. $27k MSRP and the dealer is offering it to us for $23k.

I especially like that the salesman and manager worked the price right there, with payment, without any bullshit added on. No finance shysters trying to rob us of an extra $500-$1500

mg_640.jpg

Honda>VW

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

mg_640.jpg

The value in those accords is insane. My insurance agent picked one up for $22,xxx. Same exact model and options but white. Super sharp looking car IMO. It's an incredibly nice car for the money. I haven't driven one, but, I rode in his and it was smooth and quiet. He's a car guy like us with a few class Oldsmobiles and a twin turbo coyote Boss 302. Just wanted an inexpensive DD and he loves the thing.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I also looked at the R Line. If you get it, try to find one with the better lighting (LED front and rear).

I passed on the Sport because it gave up way too much over the EX. This is what the EX adds:

Better stereo with more speakers and Android Auto/Apple Car Play/satellite
Remote start
Power moonroof
Rear seat AC vents
Smart entry with push button start
Illuminated switches on the door
Heated mirror

You do lose the 19" wheels, leather wrapped wheel/shifter, 2nd exhaust outlet, and lip spoiler. For me the moonroof, pushbutton start, and remote start were too big to pass up on a winter DD. Being able display nav from the phone on the 2nd dash screen has been nice as well.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The value in those accords is insane. My insurance agent picked one up for $22,xxx. Same exact model and options but white. Super sharp looking car IMO. It's an incredibly nice car for the money. I haven't driven one, but, I rode in his and it was smooth and quiet. He's a car guy like us with a few class Oldsmobiles and a twin turbo coyote Boss 302. Just wanted an inexpensive DD and he loves the thing.

Agree...it's crazy what you get for the money

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I also looked at the R Line. If you get it, try to find one with the better lighting (LED front and rear).

I passed on the Sport because it gave up way too much over the EX. This is what the EX adds:

Remote start
Power moonroof
Rear seat AC vents
Heated mirror

You do lose the 19" wheels, leather wrapped wheel/shifter, 2nd exhaust outlet, and lip spoiler. For me the moonroof, pushbutton start, and remote start were too big to pass up on a winter DD. Being able display nav from the phone on the 2nd dash screen has been nice as well.

You can check a few of those boxes with the sport, no? At least the remote start option.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

Remote start
Power moonroof
Rear seat AC vents
Heated mirror

We'd definitely get the LED's. She looked at the R line yesterday and still is leaning towards the Accord....which is awesome. I figured she'd see the R line then want that, then see the accord then want that, then go back and forth unable to decide. The Accord is clearly the better deal when you figure the MSRP, purchase price, and better resale down the road. Plus it has real leather (which is the one thing I really dislike about the VW - fake leather)

She's had a sunroof in her cars for the last 5 years...never used it once. Smart entry would be cool but isn't needed, we'll probably get factory remote start, she wouldn't even know how to use nav etc so I think the sport package is her best bet. All she really cares about is exterior appearance, and without the 19" wheels she wouldn't even consider the accord lol.

Thanks for the input :)

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
You can check a few of those boxes with the sport, no? At least the remote start option.

Not sure what Honda offers on the remote start as dealer accessory but if it's like the one on the Odyssey its expensive and not good. Poor range, and the car kills the motor on entry every time. Everything else would be stupid crazy to add. You'd be much bettter off having a reputable shop (or TCG member) toss an aftermarket one in.

I here you on the way the Sport looks. My wife also liked the way the 19" wheels, side skirts, and spoiler looked. I made the decision to actually spend several days (my sales guy is awesome) with each car and went for the EX for my needs. Quiet, comfy highway cruiser that blends in.

I liked the Passat much better (I went from R Line to SE with lots of options) but the wife couldn't get past the vinyl seats and resale value.

My only regret is not going 6MT. If the new Accord turns out to suck I would trade my EX CVT for an EX 6MT.

Oh, and also check out the accessory grille. It's a must have for the Accord, especially in black.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Bring this thread back up. Picked up a 2017 civic Touring over the weekend. Loaded with all the goodies. Honda sensing, heated leather, LED lights, factory remote start. Took about 5 mins to get used to the CVT. Honda did a great job on the new civic!

39ba305f84d640312f40cfaff86b4fb7.jpg

Badass looking car, congrats Kevin!

Still waiting on the VW buyback before we buy the accord.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info