Who starts their stored car during winter?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I do but it is usually out of necessity.

The attic hatch for my garage is above the GTO, yeah I know I should cut another, so I pulled it out Sunday to put christmas shit back up there.

Car sits on the tender and is never below 40 and has stabil in a full tank of gas so it would be fine if left. But I let it run to the point the fan kicked on then drove it back in and covered it up.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I think he meant for the cars that are stored in the winter.

For me, no. I don't think it's good to start a car that's been sitting a while. I did have to move it recently, but I disconnected the fuel pump and primed it with oil pressure before I started it.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
My Boss 302 stays under a cover and doesn't get started unless I absolutely have to move it out of the garage to work on another car. I have plenty of room on the other side of the garage though, so that rarely happens. I try not to lift or move the car cover at all because I'm paranoid about leaving scratches.

My fox body on the other hand gets started a few times, but that's mainly due to having to move it outside for a few hours every now and then so I could work on my daily driver when needed. My garage stays around 67 degrees all winter, so I don't have to worry about condensation too much. If I do have to start a car though, I make sure to let it get warm and give it a few revs before I shut it off so there's no water settled in the exhaust. That and I like to annoy my neighbors. Lol

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I always started my cars in winter atleast once a week. Then again I never really "put them away". They were always insured and ready for that few days or weeks when the roads would clear. Cold or not, if the roads were dry and clear I would joy ride. For the most part, we are not rocking collector pieces here. No need to let them sit.

Especially for C6 corvettes which are very finicky to sitting a long time battery wise. I'd never let mine sit for more than two weeks without sitting on the battery tender for a night. C6's can do some weird shit when their battery voltage gets low. Lots of gremlins come out. Trust me I have owned two of them for a total of about 5 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info