LED head/fog lights?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Germany doesn't like me looking at tcg! I'm a big fan of OPT7 lighting. They have a bulb for pretty much every application.

Only thing I'll warn about us to check your factory housings to see that the fan assembly on the lights will clear any seals or caps built into the chassis.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I have read that LED headlights scatter worse than HIDs do in a regular housing. aka not designed for them.

32cffa9686e3b01b8e6ba3c1b9ad348e.jpg

:dunno:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I've had OPT-7 LED's in my low beams and CREE projectors (cheap shit) in my fogs for a while now and I love em. They're ridiculously easy compared to HIDs and I'll never go back to HIDs. Less scatter than HIDs and the light quality isn't as blinding which is odd because the light output looks the same but it doesn't hurt like HIDs do.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Do all LED bulbs have fans?

Wonder how these will work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTLKLBG/?tag=tcg21-20

No they don't but it depends on application. Some fog light LEDs will have heat syncs or fans, any LED headlight worth a shit will have a fan or heat sync, signal bulbs etc will not have either since there's no need.

I have read that LED headlights scatter worse than HIDs do in a regular housing. aka not designed for them.

I don't think the light scatters anymore than the halogen bulbs and the HIDs scatter like roaches when you turn on the kitchen light. At least in my application there isn't nearly as much spread as with HIDs but that's because the emitting light is where it's supposed to be with the LED, the HID bulb sticks out farther in the housing and is longer. You might think that the LED is scattering more but it's more to do with a more pure white light than a dim halogen bulb. I'm in a leveled Silverado on 33's and the only people I'm "blinding" is the person directly in front of me at a stop but that'd happen even with basic halogens because of where the headlight housing is located in relation to their rear view mirror. I did spend a decent amount of time on a very dark level road aiming my headlights in the right spot tho.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'm switching to the OEM one's like below, but that output shot is drop-in LED bulbs in the halogen housing

2015-Ford-F-150-Exterior-2-2560x1600.jpg

No they don't but it depends on application. Some fog light LEDs will have heat syncs or fans, any LED headlight worth a shit will have a fan or heat sync, signal bulbs etc will not have either since there's no need.

I don't think the light scatters anymore than the halogen bulbs and the HIDs scatter like roaches when you turn on the kitchen light. At least in my application there isn't nearly as much spread as with HIDs but that's because the emitting light is where it's supposed to be with the LED, the HID bulb sticks out farther in the housing and is longer. You might think that the LED is scattering more but it's more to do with a more pure white light than a dim halogen bulb. I'm in a leveled Silverado on 33's and the only people I'm "blinding" is the person directly in front of me at a stop but that'd happen even with basic halogens because of where the headlight housing is located in relation to their rear view mirror. I did spend a decent amount of time on a very dark level road aiming my headlights in the right spot tho.

Some housings are obviously better than others so we could probably argue this all day and get nowhere. I was just stating that I read it.

If you look at your housing with a halogen bulb and there is not good cutoff the led or hid is going to make it umpteen times works. Agreed?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info