TDI buyback/fix - Help Me Decide

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What's up All! Looking for some input:

My wife has a 2015 Gen3 Passat, some of you have probably seen my posts in the VW TDI buyback thread.

I was leaning towards the buyback, but now that the fix for this thing is finalized it's a better offer than I anticipated.

Here are the details on the fix: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...ssions_Modification_Disclosure_Volkswagen.pdf

If we did the buyback we'd pocket about $8200 after paying off the loan. We could do this within the next ~2 months. If we do the fix we'd get $7500 total: $5k from the first phase, which is just a software update, and $2,500 for the second phase which is a hardware install (new DPF, two new catalysts). Phase 1 could be completed within ~2 months. Phase 2 and the remaining $2500 payout wouldn't happen for a year or longer

Pros/cons of the fix:

Pros
- Keep a car that's financed at 0 x 72 that the wife loves
- Killer warranty after the fix. Turbo, fuel system, entire emissions/exhaust system are warrantied for 11 years or 162k miles
- Can pocket $5k quickly
- Don't need to worry about replacing it with something that's more expensive and is financed at higher interest. The wife likes the "R" line Passat so hopefully we could keep it cheap, but that's not a certainty.
- New DPF comes free with the fix, an expensive maintenance item

Cons
- Car has 25k, will need to spend money on tires and brakes within a year and a half
- Less money overall, plus we'd have to wait a while for the $2500 balance
- Future resale uncertainty. Personally I think with there being no more TDI's produced for the US, values will strengthen a little, but that may not be the case

[MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] plz weigh in on your opinion of the technical aspects of the fix!

The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound, performance, or drivability.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Probably an R-line Passat. They're surprisingly cheap at $25-26k MSRP, and they look to be selling for ~$23k.

2016_VW_PASSAT_B4_o1.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
[MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION]

On the EA288, the diesel oxidation catalyst and the DPF/SCR catalyst (which are one single element) are both in a one-piece assembly module on the back of the engine. It's all welded into one piece. You can't replace any of them without replacing all of them (barring cutting and welding). As for why they are replacing them ... we don't know exactly, but it's either because something within that module is not capable of lasting the full required 150,000 mile life, or because the one they are putting in is better or different in some way than the original one.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I said it in the other thread about how I wish I could have kept my Jetta tdi, I got out and into a GLI for something sportier compared to the tdi. Honestly I miss my tdi, and if the practically didn't give the GLI away for the deal I got, I'd wish I still had the TDI

Knowing what the benefits of the fix are in terms of money and warranty of those parts idk, tough call to keep it. However, I don't want to own one of these cars out of warranty on all the OTHER stuff

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I said it in the other thread about how I wish I could have kept my Jetta tdi, I got out and into a GLI for something sportier compared to the tdi. Honestly I miss my tdi, and if the practically didn't give the GLI away for the deal I got, I'd wish I still had the TDI

Knowing what the benefits of the fix are in terms of money and warranty of those parts idk, tough call to keep it. However, I don't want to own one of these cars out of warranty on all the OTHER stuff

TDI's are definitely great cars. With how much she drives it wouldn't be out of warranty for another 8-9 years, lol. Let's be real we're probably not going to keep a car for that long, and if we did the last thing I'd be worried about is spending a little money on maintenance. We got a good deal on the initial purchase, and when you add the fix money on top of the loyalty cash it effectively brings it down to a $19k brand new car

The wife is conflicted, I made the mistake of taking her to test drive a new car when I was trying to sell her on the buyback and now she doesn't know what to do.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I heavily question the 'durability'. With all these retrofitted emissions controls, I see this car being back at the dealer probably 5 or more times for reflashes and parts replacement. Combine that with the added frustration of being stuck in limp mode when a $75 sensor fails.... No Bueno. I say get the fuck rid of this thing

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
it will regen the same way it does now, probably just more often if I had to guess.

The car already has DEF, a DPF, SCR etc. they'll just be changing them to updated units. they'll be in the same location, same housing, etc.

They're not adding anything that the car doesn't already have, which is the only reason I'm considering the fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info