YouTube I need the Tail of the Dragon in my life. Daily.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You know, if you go to a track day at even a local track (flat AF) you would likely have way more fun and not end up behind bars. Would be DOPE to live by it though, but it really wouldn't be fun unless you can just go nuts.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You don't have to go balls out. It also is a big help if you know the limits of your car and yourself. We usually have a blast at 1/2 - 3/4 speed. Then do a 7/8 run or two the few days we are down there.

Even at 3/4 speeds, you have such an adrenaline rush. Because there is no runoff, you can see drop offs down the side of the mountain, the elevation changes and banked turns are happening WAY quicker than they do on a track.

Then run the thing at night. I think it took us like 45 minutes to run it at night compared to the 12-14 minutes it takes during the day. You can't see shit because your headlights are pointing 2 feet in front of you or in the tree tops. It is insane.

The track is a blast. But this is something different altogether. Just as you can skydive in a building with a big fan or you can jump out of the plane. Both give you an experience, yet they are something very different on the senses.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The biggest thing you have to worry about is the big trucks that get stuck on the tail with no where to turn around and the bike clubs. You'd think those super bikes could stay in their own lane...

The trucks are much less of an issue since the one side does not allow them up there anymore.

Bikes and cars in their lanes is another issue. Crossing the double yellow line is a BIG no-no. I swear I have been far in my lane and have a biker almost hit me. His wheels are on his side of the double yellow lines but the rest of the bike, his body and head are in your lane by a good amount. Those guys are nuts.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The Blue Ridge Parkway is great too. It is a very different road. More relaxed with it's sweeping turns. The Cherohala Skyway is another great one right there as well.

There is a lot of great roads in that area. We went exploring the surrounding area a few times. Plenty of other roads that are less dangerous than the Tail that are still enjoyable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info