Tail light tint - spray

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a shop that does this professionally? I'm looking to get my tail lights sprayed about 1-2 shades darker.

I contacted Auto Art out of glenview and to my surprise, it's VERY expansive going through them.

I want a shop with a warranty if there are problems. I can VHT them myself, but I want a better quality job without a super high cost.

Thanks all!
Chris

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
That's the way to go imo, I had Xtreme do a set of tail lights for me and they held up well. If your dead set on spray, do VHT, and add a few coats of clear, wet sand and buff.

I was thinking of it, but, the back part of the tail light has "dodge" etched into it so a film won't be a good option.

I've done VHT and seen it. 9/10 it won't be perfect and is usually too dark for what I want. I was quoted $400 from auto art to remove, use a specialty film spray and clear it.

I do want something like that as of it goes bad, new tail lights on the Durango are well over a grand new and over 600 used.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I've heard u can use brake cleaner to remove vht if you don't like the way it comes out after u spray it. I have a friend who charges $100-$150 who uses paint and clear and I've never had a problem with his work and he has done a few buddy's and co workers.

My headlights were all spider webbed and he made them look 90% better an he tinted them I wanted to keep the oem lights.
96a933ceeebbd42293894c008d28e9f5.jpg

He sprayed my tailights.

9ce0c114d4e16740117c0d81b6692d37.jpg

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Chris I did a few sets on tail lights including my own and they are looked perfect. You're quite a perfectionist so I can't imagine you couldn't do them. Good prep and a few coats of clear wetsanding in between coats gives the best finished product. You could do it. Just do a light first coat and a second coat and be done.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I went on a BMW forum and a few guys use RC spray paint from a hobby shop called window tint spray paint $3.99 a can I used 1 . It's been on my hawk for 8 years plus. No complaints I did it myself and I cleared them and had my buddy wet sand and buff them they are flawless.

f86a8f7d5e7f9e0b9fbbb8180e384cfa.jpg

f1bee3c02cdcefbcf81370c6c5dc2b66.jpg

ffc24ee02163a8852f6bafe6352be432.jpg

They are very dark and that's what I wanted and the light shines right thru and vet visible at night and day time and have never been stopped.

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
I went on a BMW forum and a few guys use RC spray paint from a hobby shop called window tint spray paint $3.99 a can I used 1 . It's been on my hawk for 8 years plus. No complaints I did it myself and I cleared them and had my buddy wet sand and buff them they are flawless.

They are very dark and that's what I wanted and the light shines right thru and vet visible at night and day time and have never been stopped.

I used the RC Paint years ago....its much more effective and higher quality than the other rattle cans....

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Work buddy has a nephew that works at Carnica and has been doing this for years. Very savvy and knowledgeable and he is charging me a very fair price to do it.

Getting the tint done tomorrow so I'll post some pics with the results.

He uses paint and clear coat mixed and doesn't disassemble the tail lights which would be a challenge on the lift gate of my Durango.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info