Do you remember your first actual street race?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Grabbed the idea from another site, surprised it never popped up here.

We've all done it at some point...whether its set up, a random meeting on the highway or around town....what was yours?

I think my actual street race (and for money no less) was with my first GTP. I raced a 03/04 Cobra and only lost by maybe a fender. Was full prep and everything.

The thing I remember most wasnt the loss but was how those with us were all shocked that a grand prix kept up :rofl:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Jr year HS 05. First iroc. Built the engine bare block up with gramps. raced my gfs brothers 82 LT1 swapped z28.

No prepping, nothing just bald dry rotted tires. He took me by a car or two, all I was doing was spinning. End of the season came and we tore it down and found chipped skirts and cooked bearings. Then found out the water pump was for a serp belt but I ran a V. I never knew, I didn't even have gauges...

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Just stoplight racing I'm not sure what was my first, but cruising rt14 in the summer of 2000 I remember a stoplight race in my 86 trans am vs a 95/96 competition yellow C4, it straight smoked the shit out of me and I vowed one day to get one myself- and of course I did.

As far as a real setup race with somebody I didn't know... I'm pretty sure it was out on union Rd in the Huntley backroads in my Vette vs some DSM. I promised not to spray. I lied. He never saw it coming

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
2000-ish?
my dads bolt on 87 GN vs a cammed 97/98 LSC mark8 in the city at some bullshit hangout everyone was at near 94 and elston or cicero.

showed up there with my old man and me driving(had no license), asked to talk to the owner of the fastest car there and the guy with the mark8 came forward, i won 3 times then as i wasspotting im out for the 4th race, the cops came, then we booked it out of there..

good times. lol many many more cool stories from that point on....

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
Great topic. Answer is yes I remember my first street race like it was yesterday. I was in my mostly stock 2000 civic SI and was against a Integra. I played catch up the entire race but came out victorious. The adrenaline was pumping. Man I miss those days. [MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] I think I was in ur SS for your first street race as well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Hundreds of races and I don't remember the first. It had to be with my '69 Torino because that was my first car. I probably lost. Three speed on the tree and a 302. LOL!

My first track race was with my '86 IROC. Got a trophy that night but I don't remember the details. Didn't take first, I know that.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
First ever street race was a stop light race against my brother in his Caddy in late 2003. I was 15 and had just bought an 83 Mustang Vert. 5.0 5-speed. I had no idea how to drive the car and I lost to a 16 second Caddy :rofl:

The night after that we took the car up to the Taco Bell in Gurnee (back when people actually used to meet up up North.) I proceeded to get landed on by everything in the parking lot. Started with a blown Camry, then an SRT4, then a Civic. Pretty sure they were all fun runs back then, I can't remember if there was $ involved. We had been taking my Bros car out for over a year so we were familiar with the people. Think they just wanted to clown on me in my first car :rofl:

I really miss that car though. I essentially gave it away.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Back in HS around 1989, I had an 86 Integra at the end of my sophomore year right after I turned 16. A cute senior girl that I used to carpool with had a red 1980 Datsun 280Z. She and her boyfriend were insistent that because her car had a V6, that it would be faster than my 4 cylinder. Her boyfriend drove her car for her, and we lined up on Sullivan near Orchard Rd in Aurora. Both cars were automatic and barely capable of chirping the tires LOL. I didn't win the girl, but I did win the race by a few carlengths. :)

First Street race with a driver's license or first Street race in general? I used to street race bmx bikes or w/e bike we could get our hands on when were kids. Broke by arm at the finish line once too. Came in 2nd on my sisters girls bike to a 16 speed i was keeping up with. Put my arms up at the finish to celebrate and hit the pedal brake on mistake and went down hard. About 11-12 years old.

Now with a car and having a DL, was in my first car a 95 Chevy Lumina. Forget what i raced but I'd race anything and everything off traffic lights. Always been racing aa far as i can remember.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
MY first legit drag race was in Mexico. Not the disclaimer "Mexico", the real Mexico, Nuevo Laredo Tamaulipas Mexico. Just across the border from Laredo TX.

I would visit my cousins in Laredo during the summer ever since I was a kid. As I got older I would drive down there, stay a couple of weeks, party like hell with my cousins, and live like a king. Life was good back then. I was 21 years old,single, building my mini-monster truck "Gladiator", I had an 86 GXXR, a Dodge station wagon with a slant six for beater duties. But my baby was a 68 RS/SS Camaro. Red, Rally sport wheels, and hide away headlights. 327 SBC with 11:1 compression, 650 Holley with mechanical secondaries, Turbo 400, 12 bolt with 4.10 gears. Nice thumpin cam with dual exhaust...ohhhh yeah. It wasn't intended for racing...just a cool car to cruise the scene with. So my buddy and I decide to drive the 68 Camaro to Laredo. It's 1500 miles each way. The drive in itself was an adventure I will never forget and a story for another time since this is about my first drag race. All the way down, at every gas station, people would approach me and wanted to race me. I just wanted to get to Laredo and start having fun.

Once we arrived, we did the usual...party, eat, go to the clubs. On Sundays all the "kids" would cruise this certain boulevard. Mostly driving their parents cars/trucks. Some rich kids with nice cars. Not really a hot rod scene. Laredo was a small town, and the word was out that there was a red hot rod from Chicago roaming the streets. One of my cousins acquaintances had a bumble bee 70-73 Camaro on Cragars. Sounded nice and he thought he was the fastest car at the boulevard. He was talking crap to us all week. I had no intention on racing him.

Sunday comes, we are cruising the boulevard hung over like zombies drinking bloody marys and the bumble bee camaro pulls up next to us. He starts revvin his motor and doing little mini launches next to us. He was talking trash to me and my copilot in front of all the honeys. Enough was enough....

The boulevard was a 4 lane road. Two lanes going each way in the middle. On the sides of the boulevard were service roads on each side where the hoochies would park and tease the guys. There were speed bumps about every 50 feet so you couldn't go fast on the actual boulevard but after the last speed bump....it was a straight road into the dessert. We agreed at the last speed bump....it was "ON"!!! We had about 20 cars behind us as we crawled. People were lining the boulevard. At the last speed bump, I dropped it into first, slammed the gas....when the mechanical secondaries in the holley opened up the 68 launched hard. The Camaro was easily doing 120 mph and destroyed the bumble bee. When we returned to the boulevard, my buddy and my cousin were hangin out the windows screaming and yelling. The crowd was cheering us and giving us thumbs up!! We were the Kings of the Boulevard!! We parked the 68 and next thing you know we got a crowd around us. It was really cool that night. We sat around drinking beers and BSn with everybody. I wish I would have never sold that 68 RS/SS. It was the one that got away....

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
First real race was my nitrous Gto vs a heavily modified cobalt SS from a roll on the hwy.

We thought we were hot shit back then. Had cop spotters way in front of us and way behind us for the race.

Sadly the race ended with my clutch getting sucked to the floor and his cobalt having a huge backfire through the intake. Lol

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
First drag race I can remember: I was in a 1985 BMW 325i, straight 6 and around 180 HP. I had a friend who bought a brand new 1986 IROC and wanted to race.

I was behind him about 2 cars as we turned onto the main highway and he just took off. Not a very fair start to the race, but I made up the ground and beat him by half a car length in the end.

That little bimmer was quick.

First race in the 03 Cobra (stock) was against a 350Z. Needless to say, by the top of 2nd gear I was ahead by bus lengths.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info