Carfax Lies?

jg 1500hd

Jan 20, 2016

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I wouldn't say it's lying. They don't know a car is completely fucked. But there are many reasons why an accident won't be reported to CarFax and why it won't be displayed. You should take their report with a grain of salt. Always have it inspected by a quality body man.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I appraise multiple cars per day over at Carmax, and it never fails that some prior accidents or repairs don't show up on a vehicle history report. As mentioned, Carfax and Autocheck are great for seeing if there is a *reported* problem with the title or accident history. But not everything gets reported. Here's a few of many possible scenarios:

Somebody wrecks a car at the track and it's not covered by insurance? Then there is no police report and no insurance claim. Hence, it won't show up on a history report.

Somebody trades their car in to a dealer with damage that they never got fixed through insurance? The dealer fixes it to prepare for resale and Carfax wouldn't get notified.

Hit and run by the driver of the car in question and he can't risk reporting it to insurance or the police? Again, won't show up on Carfax.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
What am I missing about Carfax? I assumed it captured any accident that would've been filed through insurance and required substantial repair yet;

My brotherinlaw just traded in this truck that had almost $30k of bodywork done to it including a new bed and the carfax says it is certified accident free.

Hit and run by the driver of the car in question and he can't risk reporting it to insurance or the police? Again, won't show up on Carfax.

Or you could be like me with my truck that there's a police report of an accident (dude who hit me and shoved me into a third party ran), no insurance was ever paid out, yet CarFax reports "ACCIDENT - Left and Right impact" despite there being zero work ever done, zero insurance claim, and a couple of slight scuffs in the fenders but nothing major and zero issue with the truck.

Apparently there's a third party service that checks the Carfax/AutoCheck and can do a once over of the vehicle on a frame machine to verify how bad/small the accident was. I forgot the name of it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
As car people we know that carfax/autocheck/whateverelsethereis can be, and has been many times, wrong for good or bad. The unwashed masses see it as god's gift to car buying and if carfax says it, it's true and there's no refuting it and that slight paint transfer on your fender yet accident reported on carfax means the vehicle was a total loss and you're a liar.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As car people we know that carfax/autocheck/whateverelsethereis can be, and has been many times, wrong for good or bad. The unwashed masses see it as god's gift to car buying and if carfax says it, it's true and there's no refuting it and that slight paint transfer on your fender yet accident reported on carfax means the vehicle was a total loss and you're a liar.

carfax's marketing is truly incredible.

i dont know of any other product accepted as "fact", as much as carfax is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info