6.8l 3v v10

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
These were in the super duty pickups from 05-10. It was rated at 362hp and 457lb ft of torque, which appears to be a decent step up from the 5.4l and the 6.0 gm motor. From the research I can find, it's a great motor. It doesn't quite have the torque of a 6.0 psd, but far less maintenence and no huge problems.

Does anyone have experience with these? I found one in an 08 SD with a zf6 trans.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Mines an 01 and I can't say that I know tons of stuff about it, ive herd they had issues with the exhaust manifolds warping, and coil packs go out but I found a place that's dirt cheap on Amazon for those, other than that mine burns some oil but it has 185k on it no other issues, oh wait yeah 10mpg no matter what you do it will always get 10mpg towing probably 10.1 not towing 10.8 lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
That's good to hear. [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] are you happy with the power? Do you pull often?

I don't pull anything big with it just have a couple boats around 3500lbs mines an excursion as well not an actual truck, but yeah you can't even tell there's anything behind it when I pull the boats, it feels like it has a decent amount of power for as big and heavy as it is, mines old and has a lot of miles so I pretty much replaced everything steering related on the front of it this year, all in all I can't complain too much I got it really cheap did quite a bit of work to it but it's on it's 3rd winter now, I really want to find a super clean Texas roller and Cummins swap it, I've grown to love the excursion but I'm too cheap to buy a diesel one and most of them up here have rusty rockers

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had one in my Excursion. It was buttery smooth but not particularly powerful and it drank fuel like it was going out of style. That truck completely changed the way I drove because of what you had to do to get even passable gas mileage out of it. Passable, by the way is 10mpg and to achieve that you're crawling from every light.

I'd seriously run the cost difference between the cost of ownership of a 6.0 Powerstroke and a V10. If it's a few thousand dollars over the life of the vehicle I'd go with the Powerstroke.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I had one in my Excursion. It was buttery smooth but not particularly powerful and it drank fuel like it was going out of style. That truck completely changed the way I drove because of what you had to do to get even passable gas mileage out of it. Passable, by the way is 10mpg and to achieve that you're crawling from every light.

I'd seriously run the cost difference between the cost of ownership of a 6.0 Powerstroke and a V10. If it's a few thousand dollars over the life of the vehicle I'd go with the Powerstroke.

I've found that it makes almost no difference how I drive it it always gets 10mpg you may get up to like 10.9 babying it around but it's low 10's stomping it everywhere, pulling stuff is still high 9's to low 10's, but I also don't drive in stop and go traffic like ever, I just put not monster tires on it but a solid 2" taller tire and a good bit heavier, on a 5.3 1500 that would cost you 4-5mpg on this thing gas mileage unchanged

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

Figure after you purchase a 6L, run it to about 150k-175k miles, plan to put $10k in it to see another 150K. the trans will last 1.5x-2x the life of the engine(if not tuned too harsh, taken care of, and towed lightly)

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

What year was yours? I put together a pretty awesome spreadsheet to calculate the difference in fuel and basic maintenence costs. I will put on about 20k miles a year. According to my figures, I will save somewhere around $650 a year with a 6.0 psd.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Figure after you purchase a 6L, run it to about 150k-175k miles, plan to put $10k in it to see another 150K. the trans will last 1.5x-2x the life of the engine(if not tuned too harsh, taken care of, and towed lightly)

Damn. $10k?? Holy shit. It looks like just fuel savings alone would pay for a set of injectors in about 3 years, if I put them in myself. But wow, I don't see any way it will ever recover the cost of $10k to keep it going.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Went and looked at it today. It's an 08 f350 xl. 6 speed manual. 127k miles on it. Underneath is really clean. My only concerns are the shifter is incredibly loose. It's really hard to find 1st and 2nd gear with it. Once I found 1st, I shifted right to 4th. So something is wore out there. My other concern is that it really hops when starting out from a stop in 1st and the engine seems to big more than it should. It felt really odd.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Just thought I'd update this in case someone else was looking for zf6 info.

They replaced a couple of bushings in the shift linkage, and it tightened the shifter way up. It shifts normal now.

See post #2 for part numbers.
ZF6 shifter loose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I'm impressed by the 3v v10 power. I think it would do what I need it to. Mpg on my test drives has averaged right around 12. If the dash calculator is right, that's just a shade better than my 6.0 chevy.

But, it's just a little dirtier on the inside than I would like. It was a company pickup for an irrigation company. So, back to the search once again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info