Let's talk car/truck batteries

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
what's the best... deep cycle/starting/whatever...

what sort of opinion you got hombre.

my truck needs new batteries, well it could probably just get one, but that would be dumb, so i'm getting two... want something that will never leave me stranded/let me down.

and go.

i've read about odyssey and northstar and x2 power and xs power and blah blah blah the sears batteries that used to be northstar but aren't anymore... etc etc.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I get the Wal-Mart Value Power $48 1-year warranty ones and just warranty them every 11 months. Never buying an expensive battery again. They never test them or ask for a reciept, if the sticker says less than 12 months you're golden.

Also, if you forget to do it in time you can buy the stickers with the dates online for like 50 cents :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
throw this in the glovebox and keep those batteries to the bitter end.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_2

:rofl: this has been happening occasionally...

HuqOT2X.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I get the Wal-Mart Value Power $48 1-year warranty ones and just warranty them every 11 months. Never buying an expensive battery again. They never test them or ask for a reciept, if the sticker says less than 12 months you're golden.

Also, if you forget to do it in time you can buy the stickers with the dates online for like 50 cents :rofl:

Might just end up doing this. Though, it looks like they have some 3 or 5 year warrantied ones that would work for the same situation. If they warranty them every year or whenever, do you ever have to buy a battery again?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Might just end up doing this. Though, it looks like they have some 3 or 5 year warrantied ones that would work for the same situation. If they warranty them every year or whenever, do you ever have to buy a battery again?

Nope, once you buy it you can do that shit for life. They don't catch on to it. You have no receipt, all they see is a battery that's less than a year old. They don't know if that's your first or fifth.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that with MOST batteries, the extra money you pay is for the warranty. So, that's why I go the route that I go with the cheap wal-marts.

Except AC Delco.... I've had them in cars that are seven years old and they still test out fucking perfect.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Nope, once you buy it you can do that shit for life. They don't catch on to it. You have no receipt, all they see is a battery that's less than a year old. They don't know if that's your first or fifth.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that with MOST batteries, the extra money you pay is for the warranty. So, that's why I go the route that I go with the cheap wal-marts.

Except AC Delco.... I've had them in cars that are seven years old and they still test out fucking perfect.

yeah, im trying to look outside of those batteries... higher-end AGM stuff...

i have a solar charging setup planned in my head, and i don't want to have to buy batteries again.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah, I figured you wanted something good to run your expo-house. I do this on my plebeian stuff. The next truck I set up is going to have some good batteries as a lot is going to be asked of them.

yeah ive bought used batteries from picknpull before for $20 that lasted me over a year :rofl: so im with you when the application warrants it

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Quote Originally Posted by SWITAWI View Post
Found this informative listing of who makes what automotive battery on IH8MUD from 2012.

Sears Diehard...
Lead Acid - Johnson Controls
Platinum AGM - Odyssey/Enersys (Discontinued)
Advanced Gold AGM - East Penn

Interstate - Johnson Controls

Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled)

Autozone Duralast...
AGM - East Penn

Pep Boys (including Bosch) - As of Aug 2012 Exide

NAPA...
AGM - East Penn.

Optima - Johnson Controls

Odyssey - Enersys Inc (Johnson Controls was in talks to purchase them during last quarter of 2015)

Varta AGM - (Fall 2012) Johnson Controls in a new US plant

Costco - Johnson Controls

Northstar - Northstar (also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label)

Batteries Plus X2 Power - Northstar

Duracell - East Penn (Deka)

Rayovac at Batteries Plus... (Discontinued?)
AGM - East Penn

Deka - East Penn

This guy did a lot of digging - Battery Information | IH8MUD Forum

seems like a solid post

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info