Is it worth going to 1350 joints for a car? V.driveshaft tech

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
It's come time to get a driveshaft made for my Buick. I've decided it doesn't make sense to have the original shortened seeing as it's 46 years old and the car is now manual. I'd rather not risk it breaking.

Is it worth the added weight and expense going to a 1350 u joint size from 1310? I "think" there's enough clearance by the tailshaft for a larger U joint. A moser pinion yoke kit is only $130 and a slip yoke is only $100 (unless the shop has a better deal). I'm not sure on pricing to get a shaft made yet but guessing in the $300-400 range.

Engine is probably in the 300-350hp range and I'm running a 32 spline m21 Muncie and a 12 bolt. Car is probably in the 3600-3800lb range. She is not a light beast.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
1350's are good shit. But they really aren't needed unless you're making and applying lots of power/torque.

I had 1410 joints in my old K5. Those things were beefy. I actually broke one too when I had a leaf spring fail and wrap the rear driveshaft around the axle housing. :roflpicard:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The truck has 1350's. My biggest concern is the weight and stick vs horsepower, though my engine does produce a lot of low end torque for its size. Eventually it'll get a 455 built up with hopefully a bit of boost but the engine is a strong runner now so focused on the chassis and rear of the drivetrain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info